We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip from Eureka to SF

Which Eureka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Concord, North...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip from Eureka to SF

Help!!! Couple mid-50s planning last minute trip 2nd and 3rd weeks of September from Portland to SF along coastal highway.

Specifically, need help planning trip from Eureka to SF....

"Must-sees" and dos. Interested in outdoor activities and scenery vs. museums,etc.

How much time to see an area. Thinking of spending 2 nights in an area as a base??? Good idea or not? Which area for overnight?

Lodging.. Price Range $150-$200 if possible. Have not investigated lodging yet so this may be way off. Someting with character and a view would be nice. Must be clean.

Restaurants... Looking for something local with great food.

Plan to spend 2 days in SF before returning to NC . Have been before so I have a good idea of what we want to do there.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!!!!!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip from Eureka to SF

Have you decided whether to stay in Crescent City or Eureka? If you stay in Brookings, you will want to drive to Eureka for the next night. The great redwood area is between CCity & E. Eureka is larger and more cosmopolitan with better lodging choice overall, but is also noisier. CCity has a beautiful Hampton Inn right on the ocean bluff.

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
590 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip from Eureka to SF

GrammyK1

I might have a few suggestons. Are you planning to drive down 101 or 1? It makes a big difference.

Have Fun

GP

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip from Eureka to SF

Yikes! So many decisions.

Currently, I am thinking 1 night in Cresent City,

1 night somewhere between Cresent City and Medocino. Would that be feasible?

1 night in Ft. Bragg area

1 night in area of Pt. Reyes

On to SF

We are planning to drive 1 as much as possible. It looks like we need to go over to 101 between Eureka and Leggett to see that area of Redwoods. However, it looks like there is some great scenery on 1. Should we do both areas?

Does this seem doable? I'm open to any suggestions that will make the trip better. I am not very familiar with this area and I am relying on your expertise.

Thanks!

GrammyK

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip from Eureka to SF

Defiantly spend a night in the Eureka area with all the marvelous sights & restaurants. The Eagle House with it's Unique rooms all different from each other is a good spot in the heart of old town. I have never found much of interest in Crescent City. Another option is the Old Hotel in Scotia where a number of rooms have been reopened & the resturant downstairs is excellent. Then there is the Ben Bow Inn a great old hotel a bit farther south. Just two many choices.

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
590 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip from Eureka to SF

Hi GrammyK1

Day 1 Crescent City to Garberville Stay at Benbow Inn. If it is sunny take in the view from Requa at the mouth of the Klamath. Stop at Prairie Creek Redwood State Park do short hike you should see Elk, ask a ranger. Go up bull creek in Humboldt Redwoods State Park to the Big Tree area hike across the creek.

Day 2 Garberville to Ft. Bragg stay at Noyo Harbor. Drive the Ave. of the Giants Check out Mendocino

Day 3 Ft. Bragg to Bodega/ Pt. Reyes. Great drive lots of places to stop, you’ll see them. Look for places to stay in Bodega Bay.

Have Fun

GP

6. Re: Road Trip from Eureka to SF

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 06, 2009