We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where exactly is the Elk Preserve?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Topic
Where exactly is the Elk Preserve?

I always tell visitors the Elk Preserve is "north of Orick". Can someone refresh my memory as to exactly where it is? Thank you!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where exactly is the Elk Preserve?

If you mean the Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park where you can view the Roosevelt Elk then it's about 10 miles north of Orick. It's also the location of the Biosphere Reserve. If it's not this then disregard.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where exactly is the Elk Preserve?

Never heard it called the "Elk Preserve", although apparently it was once known as that. It is Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, home of the current tallest tree in addition to the elk. But it's only two or three miles from Orick, not ten. On the Newton B. Drury Parkway.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where exactly is the Elk Preserve?

Thanks, I think I'm in the right area ..... I thought it was an official "preserve", but it's where the elk hang out not far from the red house (or red schoolhouse?), and there is a place to pull off 101 to park and look at them.

4. Re: Where exactly is the Elk Preserve?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, September 07, 2009