We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lawrence Welk Resort

Which Escondido hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit
Level Contributor
32 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Lawrence Welk Resort

We will be staying at the Lawrence Welk Resort in July. We have planned to go to Disney,Knottsberry and the zoo. Where is a relatively close place to take kids (9 & 10)snorkeling? Where is a good place to eat both with the fam and a night out for the adults? ALSO has anyone done the ghost tour? Is it worth the cash? How is Oceanside?

Thanks

Escondido...
Level Contributor
142 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lawrence Welk Resort

Hi there. While I haven't done any snorkeling in my home area myself (I prefer the warm water!) I have heard that La Jolla cove is a great place to snorkel. Its south about 45 minutes from the Welk resort, but is an ecological preserve with a lot to see.

In Escondido there are a LOT of dining choices. You're also close to San Marcos, which also has a lot of restaurants. For the adults (partiularly if you like beer), I recommend Stone Brewery in Escondido. The food is awesome and they ahve great beer. CHeck out the website. http://www.stoneworldbistro.com/

For Sunday brunch, there is a great Mexican restaurant called Cocina del Charro in Escondido that has a breakfast buffet to die for and it's only $15! The food is amazing. http://www.cocinadelcharro.com/ There is also one in San Marcos, but I don't know if they have the brunch there or not.

For dining with the kids, there are all of the usual places in Escondido and in San Marcos. Red Robin, Chilis, Fat Burger, etc. If you want any more details, please feel free to contact me here on tripadvisor.

I have not gone on the ghost tour personally so I can't help you there, but if you are down in San Diego for the tour, you might think about hitting the Corvette Diner for dinner. Great fun for the whole family and really tasty food.

As for Ocenaside, they have a lot of beach there, so if you want to go hang out on the beach, it's nice. There is a Ruby's on the pier if you want burgers and malts. If you want to do any shopping, you might want to go a little south to Carlsbad. IN carlsbad, you've got an outlet mall, beaches, and Legoland.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lawrence Welk Resort

Lawrence Welk Resort is a very quiet (yet relaxing) golf resort just off I-15 north of Escondido. I would assume you know that already.

That said, part of it's charm is that it's somewhat removed from, well, everything. Escondido is close, and can second the recommendation on Stone Brewery. It's got a great beer selection (I recommend the Ruination IPA) and a fantastic menu. You can eat inside in their wrought iron/stone tasting room, or outside in a fantastic granite boulder filled garden area with open fire pits. It's great, any time of year.

Oceanside IS the closest beach (I'd say 30-40 minute drive), but not a great snorkeling beach at all. In fact, the only one I would recommend for snorkeling (especially for kids) is the La Jolla Marine Preserve - at least an hour drive.

As far as Oceanside itself, I'd give it a miss and drive another 10-15 minutes south to Carlsbad. A much better beach and beachside community than Oceanside. Carlsbad feels more like a resort town, whereas Oceanside feels like it sprung up to support the nearby Marine Corps base.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lawrence Welk Resort

Oh, and if you're looking for a great breakfast place, try Delight of France Bakery & Bistro off Grand Ave. in Escondido. Their almond crossaints and eggs benedict are excellent.

Here's their website: http://delightoffrance.itsmemom.com/

4. Re: Lawrence Welk Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:46 am, November 06, 2009