We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety?

Vaxjo, Sweden
5 posts
Save Topic
Safety?

Hi!

We are a family from Sweden planning a trip to LA this summer. We are not used to visit bigger cities.

We are thinking about staying at Residence Inn, East El Segundo Blvd. Do you know if it is a safe area?

Also, my son may go to Science classes at California Science Center at Exposition Park. Is that a safe neighbourhood?

Best regards

Mr B

17 replies to this topic
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety?

The Residence Inn is in a relatively safe area but why would you want to stay there. It's not near to where your son is taking his science classes.

I'm sure there is something closer that's in your budget....

What's you budget and will you have a car??

Vaxjo, Sweden
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety?

Well, the hotel fits our needs (room with full kitchen, two bathrooms and roll-in shower).

We will have a car.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety?

Well, did you already book the El Segundo location? I'm sure we can find something that fits all your needs and is economical for you and is closer to where your son needs to be.

Otherwise, your hotel is in a safe area.

Vaxjo, Sweden
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety?

We have booked, but it is possible to cancel. Our budget is around maximum 250 dollar per night. We also enjoy an outside pool.

This was the best hotel we could find.......

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety?

Did you look at the other Residence Inn in Manhattan Beach? It is a bit livelier area closer to shops etc.

There is also the Hyatt House which has two-bedroom suites, on Rosecrans, again a bit closer to shops and the beach.

None of these places will take you very long to Exposition Park, the best way is to head up Sepulveda or Aviation to the Century Freeway, and then take the Harbor Freeway north.

The hotels are all in safe areas. The California Science Center would be somewhere for you to drop off and pick up your son, he shouldn't go roaming around too far on his own.

Edited: 5:40 pm, February 10, 2014
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,949 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety?

Mr B,

Welcome to the TA forum. To answer your question, the City of El Segundo takes pride in being one of the safest cities in SoCal, with the lowest crime rate of any non-gated community in LA County. El Segundo has more police officers per capita than any other South Bay City.

http://elsegundobusiness.com/stats_crime.htm

I live in Manhattan Beach, a couple miles to the south, and it's local knowledge that ES is very safe. That said, the location of the Residence Inn, is close to freeways or the Metro so you can get around very easily..

My husband drives to downtown LA weekly and thinks nothing of the drive, heading east on the 105 freeway from ES. I would not want to stay near the CSC. Do you plan to visit tourist sites on your trip like Disneyland, etc? That is a 45 min. drive. The ES Residence Inn suits your needs of beds and baths, roll in shower and outdoor swimming pool. In addition, if you are looking for a good local beach to visit, Manhattan Beach is a great place for families and teens. We have a Residence Inn as well, that I highly recommend, but maybe you got a better rate in ES. Both are equal.

Check to see directions to the Science Center.

californiasciencecenter.org/GenInfo/Planning…

When my son was an Eagle Scout at age 18, he was selected to travel to Sweden for 6 weeks to work in a Boy Scout Camp the summer after high school. The people he worked with in Sweden were very good to him.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,508 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety?

I would rather be in the Hyatt House El Segundo or the Residence Inn Manhattan Beach than the Residence Inn El Segundo. There is nothing especially bad about the Residence Inn El Segundo or its location, but to me it is more business oriented. It is probably very quiet on the weekends.

From the Hyatt House you can walk to movie theaters, restaurants, very nice grocery stores and some shops.

From the Residence Inn Manhattan Beach you can walk to a nice shopping center, lots of restaurants, even the pier and beach.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,949 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety?

The reason I don't recommend the Hyatt House El Segundo anymore is the location near the RR tracks, and local reports the facility not being up to Hyatt quality. The hotel has a lot going for it, being close to the 405 Freeway, restaurants on Rosecrans, and a couple miles to the beach and some guests don't experience the noise of the trains.

For years I've gotten feedback that guests can't sleep, as not all the buildings face Douglas St. The elevated trains, located right next to the hotel, run daily from 4 am to midnight. There is no soundproofing, the business across the street runs generators. When I get PM's about it, I hesitate to tell people who are looking for something specific, that they may be disappointed with their room location.

I would much prefer the Marriott RI hotels, as stated above, the RI in Manhattan is where I suggest. However, the prices may be higher, or there was no rolling shower room available. There are not elevators in MB in case they assigned you a 2nd floor room, where there are elevators in El Segundo, being four stories high.

Vaxjo, Sweden
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety?

Thank you all for the answers.

We have been looking at those hotels you mentioned, but they would not work. It is not easy to find hotels that work with five in the family and those need we have.

Later during the trip we will be staying at Disneyland hotel and Staybridge suits in Anaheim.

We are planning to drop the son off at Science camp and then go shopping or something with the girls. However I now understand that the area around Exposition Park is not the best. It might be the wrong forum, but do you know if there is shopping malls that are nice close to Exposition Park?

You can find shopping malls in El segundo too?

Anybody know if there is a beach near El Segundo that would work with wheelchair (a walkaway al the way to the water).

Or a beach where you can borrow beach wheelchairs?

Any sightseeing close to El Segundo you can recommend?

CAnative, I glad to hear your son liked Sweden!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,949 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety?

Mr. B,

Yes, you will find lots of shopping in El Segundo and Manhattan Beach.

Plaza El Segundo is our newest outdoor shopping mall, filled with stores and restaurants, just down the street on Sepulveda Blvd, about a mile from the ES Res Inn.

http://www.plazaelsegundo.com/

Across the street from ES is the Manhattan Village Mall on Sepulveda and Rosecrans Ave. There are two Macy's stores, and if you show your passport you will get 11% off, even sale items, but not on jewelry or cosmetics. There are a number of restaurants dotted around the parking lot of the mall.

http://www.shopmanhattanvillage.com/

Yes, there are Beach Wheelchairs in Manhattan Beach for free use to take you to the water's edge. We don't have boardwalks that go to the sand and water, but these have wide wheels which can roll across the sand. You may have to provide your own pusher, not all are electric. Some may be reserved ahead of time, and some on a first come basis. You would have to leave identification during your use.

We have two locations, one at the MB Pier and one in North MB at Rosecrans Ave. in an area called El Porto.

Telephone to reserve: 1 (310) 372-2162

We have what is called The Strand, a cement sidewalk that runs along the beach a couple miles to the north, and 2 miles to the south to the Hermosa Beach Pier and on to Redondo. Lots of people walking their dogs, pushing strollers, skating. Here is a video watching surfers and dolphins from the MB Pier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYIL7Wy1Jkk

Do you have something like a blue disability Handicapped Parking Plaque for your car use from Sweden? You can park close to the entrance to stores in marked spaces with one, and not have to pay beach parking meters.

In addition to the Malls, there are many shops in the downtown area of MB in a few block area. The two cities are side by side, but ES doesn't have a pier or beach front property.

www.youtube.com/watch…

What are the ages of your children so I can help find things for you to do as a family?

Reply to: Safety?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted