We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

choosing between Dillon Beach, Marshall and Inverness

suburban Phila
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
choosing between Dillon Beach, Marshall and Inverness

Could anyone help inform us as to the pluses and minuses of these three locations? We are planning to spend 3-4 days in late August, hoping to do some hiking in Point Reyes, and possibly kayak and swim (?). Any and all information would be appreciated.

7 replies to this topic
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: choosing between Dillon Beach, Marshall and Inverness

Inverness has the most lodging options. There's good swimming in Tomales Bay State Park there and kayaks can be rented:

http://bwkayak.mhsoftware.com/ViewMonth.html

August is not usually the sunniest month but fog can burn off in the afternoon.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,064 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: choosing between Dillon Beach, Marshall and Inverness

Dillon Beach itself is a lovely beach. I would not base myself there. It is not only out of the way but over the years it has developed a kind of "shanty town" of run down recreational vehicles. This surprised me because it also has some nice summer rental houses on the beach. One restaurant, very sad condition and food.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: choosing between Dillon Beach, Marshall and Inverness

Another vote for Inverness, as to me, the most scenic, and also most sheltered place of the three. The kayaking should be great. You can get to a few beaches that are not accessible except by boat.

Here is one place that has been a favorite

http://www.tomalesbayresort.com/about.htm

We used to stay there after trailering in our 12 foot Pelican boat. We would sail with our dog to the beaches. It's on Tomales Bay, in Inverness.

Do be prepared for fog.

There are some nice restaurants! Including the well-known Manka's (see Trip Advisor)

I would get reservations soon, as there aren't that many places to stay

suburban Phila
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: choosing between Dillon Beach, Marshall and Inverness

Thanks for your help! That's exactly the kind of information I needed; Inverness it is.

Will Point Reyes - say, farther out on the peninsula - be foggy all day in August in general, or only in the mornings?

Also, could you recommend a destination for one night before we go to Inverness? We will have spent two days in S.F., and after Inverness we will be heading to Berkeley for a family function and staying there for four nights. I am considering possibly somewhere in Sonoma or Napa or Bodega Bay....Very open to suggestions. We are a family of five with one member below the drinking age, so I'm not sure a winery would be so much fun for our youngest member, and I'd rather it not mean too much extra driving, but I thought it would be nice to spend an extra day out of the city.

Thanks again.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: choosing between Dillon Beach, Marshall and Inverness

Well, after spending a lot of time in the coastal climate, you might want to warm up a bit inland in Sonoma or Napa. Besides wineries, there's a lot of beautiful warm coastal mountain scenery there. you could find a simpler place with a pool for your teen.

By the way, Inverness is not that far from Sonoma Couny.

And yes, it may or may not be sunny on the ocean, so bring warmer clothes. You could get lucky, but no guarantee.

Have fun in Berkeley. Make your relatives take you to the UC campus, and go up in the Sather Tower. Listen to the 2 pm carillon concerts. Wander around Telegraph Avenue and have fun looking at the street vendors there.

Here's a link to the Tower information, and from there you can hit Visitor info too

…berkeley.edu/camp/index.shtml#tower_closure

England
Level Contributor
522 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: choosing between Dillon Beach, Marshall and Inverness

We are staying in Dillon Beach in May. Can we expect fog? Any day trips to be recommended?

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: choosing between Dillon Beach, Marshall and Inverness

Yes it can be foggy but it could also be nice.

Day trips up the Sonoma Coast, wine country, Pt. Reyes, Armstrong redwoods, and even San Francisco.

Reply to: choosing between Dillon Beach, Marshall and Inverness
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dillon Beach