We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doheny State Beach campground: please help if you know it !

Québec City, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Doheny State Beach campground: please help if you know it !

Hi,

I also posted this on LA forum but was advised to post it here too.

For those of you who've been at that campground before, which campsites would you suggest that are not beachfront? (we're trying to cut costs a bit).

Here's a map:

http://www.dohenystatebeach.org/index.html

If you click on a number, you'll see a picture of that particular site.

It's not easy to choose without having any feedbacks from people who've been there.

We are looking for some privacy, quietness (heard that you have to be VERY social at some specific sites but don't know which numbers) and a glimpse of the sea if we are lucky enough to not have a huge RV on the seafront row.

:o)

We're travelling in a 15 feet VW van (Westfalia).

Our choice is down to # 54,56,58,39 or 42 (we'll be there Dec 21 and 22 and that seemed like the interesting spots left)

What do you advise us?

Many thanks!

Pascale

Dana Point, CA
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doheny State Beach campground: please help if you know it !

It appears the sites you have narrowed it down to, all back into the grassy/open area. I like those areas, but it there is a chance of kids and adults playing games and etc. in the open areas. It is a campground, so how much privacy are you expecting? It is popular and usually full. I think for the couple of nights you are planning, any of the sites you have picked should be fine. I don't find that there is a whole lot of difference between them. Good luck and have fun.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,517 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doheny State Beach campground: please help if you know it !

I replied on your LA post.

If you get shut out of Doheny,check San Clemente State Beach just down the road.Its a nice campground.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,517 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doheny State Beach campground: please help if you know it !

Just got back from Doheny.Looked at the sites.The berm is way lower,can't see the waves breaking yet from the campsites.After looking I would pick 52-56. 39 and 42 have a tree in the way of the view.

Québec City, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doheny State Beach campground: please help if you know it !

Thanks all, we just booked site # 56.

I can't wait!!

Pascale

5. Re: Doheny State Beach campground: please help if you know it !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 25, 2010