We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coronado on New Years Day

Calgary
Level Contributor
107 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Coronado on New Years Day

Hi there,

We are visiting Los Angeles for a week in late December and planning a day trip to San Diego on New Years Day. We're planning to take in Sea World during the day and then take a walk around Coronado (including dinner) in the evening. My question is this: will restaurants and shops along Orange Ave. still be open on the evening of Jan. 1? Can't seem to find any info on the internet. Any insights greatly appreciated!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,963 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coronado on New Years Day

Hi,

Even on a normal Sunday, small stores are not often open at night past about 5PM. I cannot tell you for sure what will be open that day.

Many restaurants are open on New Years Day for brunch and will continue to be open in the evening. I cannot give you specifics for each restaurant on Coronado.

If I were you and needed to drive back to LA that same evening I'd walk around in La Jolla and go to the cove and its nearby restaurants because they are at least on the way back north.

So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coronado on New Years Day

You will definitely find activity and life at the Hotel Del Coronado. That alone, would be enough for me!

Calgary
Level Contributor
107 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coronado on New Years Day

Hi,

Thanks for everybody's responses, and thanks to Riff M's for the suggestion about La Jolla Cove. It does make sense to go there instead since it is on our way back north. Just did some reading and it looks like it would make a great visit. Will restaurants and shops be opened on the evening of January 1?

SB

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,963 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coronado on New Years Day

Hi,

I don't have the specific answer to your question but am trying to find out.

L

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,963 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coronado on New Years Day

Definitely there are restaurants open.

I have not been able to find out about stores.

This web site is good for making restaurant reservations and reading menus all on one page.

http://www.opentable.com/

Some of the ones near the cove include: George's California Modern, Crab Catcher, Brockton Villa and others . Choose San Diego and then La Jolla for the neighborhood and look through the list that comes up.

Calgary
Level Contributor
107 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coronado on New Years Day

Hi Riff M, thanks for your help. It's probably too much to hope that stores are opened on the evening of Jan. 1. Not only is it a holiday but also a sunday to boot. Thanks for the restaurant suggestions as well. We look forward to exploring the cove. Hopefully we can get there in time to catch the sunset.

7. Re: Coronado on New Years Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, December 23, 2012