We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Hotel Del room question - for family with kids

Southwest Colorado
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Another Hotel Del room question - for family with kids

Well, we decided to ignore the negative reviews and have booked 4 nights at the Del for our family of 5 (including 3 small children) in July 2007. Originally from the East Coast, we really, really want to stay on the beach and like places that are kid friendly and have a sense of history.

Here is the question - I booked a "Premiere" room in the Victorian section, which is apparently larger than the regular rooms but not as big as a Jr. Suite. Does anyone know if the Jr. Suite is worth the additional $100 or so per night? Do we have a better chance of getting a balcony or patio in this type of room? We can't afford the ocean view rates, but wondering if the space in the Jr. Suite is worth the price.

I saw so many reviews complaining about the parking and resort fees....With an AAA package, the parking fee goes down to $9 per night and breakfast for 2 is included. Just a little FYI for anyone considering booking now.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,849 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Hotel Del room question - for family with kids

I am a big fan of calling the hotel directly to speak to a real live person to ask your questions about balcony ,patio etc.In fact you could even tell them about the bad reviews you read and that you are trying to get the best room possible. for your family. Ask them specifically what the jr suite has that is different from theses premiere rooms.Let them try and "sell"you on it and again make it clear that you are aware of probs that others have had and are trying not to have them.

Level Contributor
36,653 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Hotel Del room question - for family with kids

I don't know about the Jr. Suites, but we were originally put in a the most standard room in the Victorian Section when we arrived. The room was very small, but it did have a balcony with beautiful views of the inner courtyard. When I asked if we could we be put in a room with a bathtub (we stayed 3 nights) they very quickly sent someone to help us with a room change. Our room with the bathtub was much more spacious and still had a balcony with pretty views of the inner courtyard, it was closer to the main lobby also.

We totally enjoyed everything about our stay at the Hotel Del Coronado, it was an amazing experience and we will definitely return. Have fun on your travels! :)

Boston
Level Contributor
14 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Hotel Del room question - for family with kids

We stayed in the Ocean Towers and would highly recommend it if you have children. The bathroom also had a dressing area with another sink. This was so useful. Our large room was on the ground floor and we had a good sized enclosed patio with a dining table, 4 chairs, and a lounge chair. We did not have an ocean view but the ocean was right there. On one side of the building the door led directly to the beach and the other side led directly to the parking lot. There is construction going on at the Del. We were far removed and only heard the surf. I hope this helped.

4. Re: Another Hotel Del room question - for family with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 am, August 21, 2009