We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Sacramento to Chico, CA-90 or CA-70?

Alta Loma...
Level Contributor
39 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
From Sacramento to Chico, CA-90 or CA-70?

Highway 90 seems direct and straightforward. What about CA-70? It branches out, parallels, and joins CA99 through CA149. Along the 70, one can visit Marysville or Oroville. Are there more things to see on 70? And is it much longer than 90?

Many thanks in advance.

18 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,711 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: From Sacramento to Chico, CA-90 or CA-70?

I prefer Hwy 70 as well. I don't think one is necesarily more scenic than the other, but Hwy 70 is a safer road.

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
93 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: From Sacramento to Chico, CA-90 or CA-70?

I have driven from Chico to the Sacramento Int'l Airport for work every day for the past 3-yrs. Hwy-99 is roughly 3-miles shorter in distance, and a couple minutes faster. I make it in 1-hr 30-minutes each way, every time - I live about 8-minutes from 99, so it's about 1-hr 22-minutes Chico. It is now 4-lanes almost the entire way from Sacramento to a couple miles north of Yuba City.

1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: From Sacramento to Chico, CA-90 or CA-70?

Gotta try The Brick House at fourth and D in Marysville, great coffee and atmosphere..

14. Re: From Sacramento to Chico, CA-90 or CA-70?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, January 14, 2016
Edited: 4:35 pm, January 14, 2016

15. Re: From Sacramento to Chico, CA-90 or CA-70?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, January 14, 2016

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,711 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: From Sacramento to Chico, CA-90 or CA-70?

Zombie thread :)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: From Sacramento to Chico, CA-90 or CA-70?

I have read old blogs about the highway Reno to Highway 20 to 70 or 99 through Chico to Mt. Shasta. Our ultimate destination is to Ashland Oregon. Any new thoughts on that Highway 99 that parallels I-5.

If Highway 99 is still a death trap or safe with more lanes. If going North and staying on Highway 395 from Reno to Ashland is a good fairly fast highway that isn't too mountainous.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: From Sacramento to Chico, CA-90 or CA-70?

No, the bad section of Highway 99 is still just as bad as it was when this thread was active. I wouldn't look at 99 as a good alternative to I-5. I-5 is in much better condition and lacks the grade intersections and traffic signals that make 99 so dangerous and annoying.

Reply to: From Sacramento to Chico, CA-90 or CA-70?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted