We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best breakfast at a Carmel hotel, Inn or B&B?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
best breakfast at a Carmel hotel, Inn or B&B?

I've been comparing hotels, inns and B&Bs that are within several blocks of Ocean Drive, including the Lamp Lighter, Lobos Lodge, Normandy, Pine Inn, La Playa, etc.

Which Carmel hotel, inn or B&B serves the best or most interesting breakfast? I realize the B &Bs and smaller inns often include breakfast, whereas some of the hotels might charge extra for breakfast (or perhaps not even serve breakfast!) Thanks for any comments.

Edited: 12:04 am, March 27, 2014
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best breakfast at a Carmel hotel, Inn or B&B?

I would choose my lodging based on the location and amenities that suited me.

The US is not really into the "bed and breakfast" syndrome. You may get a 'great' breakfast in a lousy accommodation. When you are in the US I would plan to find a great place to stay and then a great place to eat breakfast....separately

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best breakfast at a Carmel hotel, Inn or B&B?

Thanks for your comments.

I've narrowed my hotel down to the Pine Inn, Normandy Inn or Lobos Lodge.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good breakfast, within walking distance of Ocean Ave? I've read positive reviews about the breakfasts at The Cottage Restaurant, Katy's Place and Little Swiss Cafe, but would appreciate any additional comments from TA members. Which breakfast spots offer the healthiest options and/or a good fruit salad?

Edited: 9:27 am, March 27, 2014
Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best breakfast at a Carmel hotel, Inn or B&B?

My go to for breakfast is Carmel Belle.

Of the inns, based on the quality of their restaurant, I would say L'Auberge probably serves the best breakfast.

Level Contributor
36,205 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best breakfast at a Carmel hotel, Inn or B&B?

Normandy has a small breakfast room with standard continental items. It isn't a full course sit down breakfast like at a Bed and Breakfast Inn. We love Katy's Place for breakfast in Carmel. La Playa has a beautiful space for breakfast with views of the ocean. They now include breakfast with your room stay I believe. We love staying at La Playa! Enjoy Carmel! :).

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best breakfast at a Carmel hotel, Inn or B&B?

The breakfast at La Playa is pretty good, but we love Katy's Place. So do lots of other people, as there is generally a line to get in. We don't usually go for something healthy, though. Their three egg omelets and benedicts are not exactly weight Watcher approved.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best breakfast at a Carmel hotel, Inn or B&B?

Thanks for all the super replies.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best breakfast at a Carmel hotel, Inn or B&B?

Not sure when you're going but I just read that Carmel Belle is closed for renovations until April 14th.

Level Contributor
36,205 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best breakfast at a Carmel hotel, Inn or B&B?

If you are there on a Sunday, Mission Ranch does an awesome brunch with a jazz band. Gorgeous views from their outdoor patio also. :).

9. Re: best breakfast at a Carmel hotel, Inn or B&B?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:07 am, April 02, 2014
Edited: 1:07 am, April 02, 2014
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,002 posts
5,925 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best breakfast at a Carmel hotel, Inn or B&B?

If you are willing to look to Monterey, the Four Sisters bed and breakfasts in the area area are quite nice with good breakfasts. Green Gable inn in Monterey has a delightful view of the ocean and a nice breakfast.

http://www.greengablesinnpg.com/breakfast.htm

Get answers to your questions about Carmel