We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Point Lobos alone (34 year-old female)

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
Hiking Point Lobos alone (34 year-old female)

DH & I will be traveling to Pebble Beach next month. He will be in meetings during one of the days we are there. We were at Point Lobos many years ago, & I would like to hike there the day he is in his meetings. Would you see any concern with a woman hiking alone during the day (probably morning)? DH isn't too keen, but I am not wary.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
42,011 posts
150 reviews
1. Re: Hiking Point Lobos alone (34 year-old female)

Nope should be fine. There will be plenty of other people and as with any any spot anywhere in the world, just apply street smarts and you should be ok not that one should be worried about Point Lobos. It is a wonderful place

You DH is missing one of the most beautiful places on the West coast -- He should reconsider. Please show him some photos online

Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Hiking Point Lobos alone (34 year-old female)

Thank you! That is what I thought. He's been there, as well. I just loved it so much, so I want to go back. :-)

Though, from what I recall on the day we were there, it was deserted. That is why DH doesn't want me going at it alone.

Thanks again!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Hiking Point Lobos alone (34 year-old female)

I hiked there alone several years ago--it was midafternoon and its true that most of the people were congregated at a few points and the trails were pretty deserted. But it didn't bother me at all, any more than hiking alone in Yosemite. Its just not the sort of place bad folks would choose to lurk!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
20,188 posts
4,391 reviews
4. Re: Hiking Point Lobos alone (34 year-old female)

One thing I do when hiking solo in places is to carry a cell phone with you - fully charged. Also take some water with you. That way if anything unforeseen happens, you have a way to call out (cell phone coverage seems to be ok for Point Lobos when I have been there.). The worst thing about hiking alone is the 1 per cent time when something unexpected happens. .

Also since your husband is in town, I would choose your hiking trail in advance and let him know which one(s) you are on (or just leave him a cell phone message and let him know once you are at the park and have chosen the trail(s) you plan to hike on. Also let him know what time you plan to be back. Call him and leave a message when you are back from your hike. If he cannot be contacted during the meeting, just tell him to put it on airplane mode or something like it so you can still leave him a message.

I do this so in the 1 per cent time something happens, someone will have some idea where to check.

For me the 1 per cent time has not yet happened (and hopefully it never will) but I always consider this to be a good idea.

Others might have other suggestions - of course, cell phone coverage can be a concern on some hikes.

The one thing I would not do at Pt. Lobos (and I figure you are not doing) is to scuba dive by oneself. People should always do this with a partner or in a group.

Edited: 3:32 pm, March 04, 2013
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
42,011 posts
150 reviews
5. Re: Hiking Point Lobos alone (34 year-old female)

There are plenty of APPS on smart phones that let you track families and kids -- much more efficient and the info is always available but the caveat is that one needs cell coverage which has been spotty along the coast.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
6. Re: Hiking Point Lobos alone (34 year-old female)

Probably the greatest hazard comes not from strange people, but from rogue waves. Don't venture too far out on the rocks, which can be tempting along the south shore. Stay close to the trails.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
18,419 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Hiking Point Lobos alone (34 year-old female)

You might also want to carry a whistle. Could come in handy for more than one type of situation.

Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Hiking Point Lobos alone (34 year-old female)

Thank you all for your kind replies!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
9. Re: Hiking Point Lobos alone (34 year-old female)

The whistle is an excellent idea and one I've used in the past. A compass is another but probably not necessary at Point Lobos.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
42,011 posts
150 reviews
10. Re: Hiking Point Lobos alone (34 year-old female)

Just don't use the whistle when you scuba dive. :-)

Get answers to your questions about Carmel