We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando
Level Contributor
374 posts
145 reviews
Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

I've gone back and forth A MILLION times on trying to decide on our lodging in Carmel. I, at first, was ready to book the Cypress Inn, as we prefer places that have restaurants/bar, but I really want our room to have a king bed w/ a fireplace as we will be there in Feb. Lamplighter and Normandy offer better prices for those types of rooms. The trade off is no restaurant/bar, but that's ok.

I realize these are older properties, so everything won't be new, so by "nicer" I mean overall condition of rooms/bathrooms/furnishings and relatively clean and updated property.

I can get a much better rate at Normandy Inn and I can even book their 600 sq ft cottage suite for $14 less a night, but I'm willing to pay more at the Lamplighter if it's "nicer".

Thanks!

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
1. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

While I don't have any first-hand experience staying at either property, both have solid reputations, and they are fairly similar in style and appearance. They are well maintained, so their age isn't really a factor. They're only about a block apart. The Lamp Lighter is a tad closer to the beach, while the Normandy is a little closer to shops and restaurants. That might tip the scales ever so slightly towards the latter since you prefer to have food and drink at hand. Otherwise, it's a toss-up. So save your brain cells and either toss a coin or go with the best rate.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 1:29 am, October 15, 2012
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
20,172 posts
4,330 reviews
2. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

Go with the Normandy as the rates are better - and as mentioned both properties are pretty equal in what they have to offer. That way you can use the money on something else....Have a good trip.

Orlando
Level Contributor
374 posts
145 reviews
3. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

Ok, thanks for the input. I've booked the cottage at Normandy Inn.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

Can you please let us know your thoughts when you stay there.

Orlando
Level Contributor
374 posts
145 reviews
5. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

We aren't going until Feb, but I'll be happy to report back, eagle :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

Thank you. I know someone going there at the end of this week, and they've booked into the Normandy on the way to SF. I'll report back for you.

Orlando
Level Contributor
374 posts
145 reviews
7. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

Excellent! Thank you

Level Contributor
32,520 posts
855 reviews
8. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

We stayed at Normandy last Fall and loved it! Our room was upstairs with a view of the pool. Lovely property and in a prime location. They offer sherry and homemade cookies in the evening which is a nice touch and a good breakfast in their breakfast room in the morning.

Even tho you aren't staying at Cypress, go to Terry's Lounge for a meal. They have great food and drinks there. Have fun! :)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
30,725 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

I have no business answering this question because of the number of years it has been since we stayed in Carmel. Lots of years ago we loved the Lamplighter. It was a very romantic venue at that time. I think, however, for amenities, etc., now that I am older, I would choose the Normandy Inn.

Remember, that is a FWIW.

Orlando
Level Contributor
374 posts
145 reviews
10. Re: Which is "nicer", Lamplighter Inn or Normandy Inn?

I called Normandy Inn tonight regarding a few questions I had about the cottage suites and they were friendly and helpful. It helped me decide to switch my reservation to a deluxe king with fireplace and dressing room. She pointed out that the suites were spacious, but bathrooms very small.

So far so good.

Get answers to your questions about Carmel