We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Carmel to San Jose airport

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis
Level Contributor
302 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Carmel to San Jose airport

What is the best way to get to the airport and how long does it take. We are staying right on highway 1. Thanks.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,506 posts
5,255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Carmel to San Jose airport

Once you get to highway 1 (sounds like you are already there - mileage below is estimate as not sure where on highway 1 you are.)

1) Go North on Highway 1 (18 mile)

2) Go east on highway 156E (towards highway 101). Exit is 414B

(6.5 miles)

3) Merge onto Highway 101 north going towards San Jose (40 Miles)

4) Merge onto Highway 87 towards downtown San Jose (8.5 miles)

5) Take Skyport Highway 0.2 miles towards airport, keeping left to enter airport.

Its about 80 miles so allow yourself about 1 1/2 hours to be on the safe side (if traffic is good it will take less; if traffic is slower it will take a bit longer).

Morning commutes are the worst - and if you are in work hour traffic (7 - 9:30 add 30 minutes

Likewise add same amount of time Sunday afternoon as many are returning into San Jose area. Saturday can be busy but not as much - just so you know if you are traveling this week-end its Garlic festival week-end and I would add a full hour to the commute into San Jose. its a slow go (we avoid the area unless we want to join the slow crawl back from the festival).

Just mentioning as not sure when you are driving back.

Have a good trip and safe drive to the airport. Safe flight home.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Carmel to San Jose airport

I'm not sure why Google takes you via 87. 101 goes right past the San Jose airport terminal and it's a simpler route, being a straight shot on one road.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Carmel to San Jose airport

I think the best route is a modification on mini's suggestion: Take 101 to 85 to 87. I've tried all the routes, and I think that this is the quickest. The roads and exits are well marked by signs, and it's not complicated at all.

Saint Louis
Level Contributor
302 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Carmel to San Jose airport

I so appreciate your help. We are returning tomorrow (Saturday), so is this Garlic Festival a big deal? Where exactly is it? So where will we run into the most traffic? Maybe we should allow 2 hours.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Carmel to San Jose airport

Luckily, the Garlic Festival is not this weekend, but next. Barring special events (and I don't know of any tomorrow) , Saturday is a good day to travel since most weekend travelers are heading south, and the bulk of the end-of-weekend travelers that do head north will be doing so on Sunday.

Edited: 12:58 pm, July 20, 2012
Saint Louis
Level Contributor
302 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Carmel to San Jose airport

Perfect. I am glad we will miss the Garlic Festival. :)

Thanks again

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,429 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Carmel to San Jose airport

I am really sorry my fellow SF DE Mini is giving you incorrect information. Just a mistake on her part wrt to the dates for the Gilroy Garlic festival. I am also very confused with her directions with this line

4) Merge onto Highway 87 towards downtown San Jose (8.5 miles).

I would personally not follow those directions but look at the ones below

Google maps gives you these directions which are the same that PGdenizen suggests

http://goo.gl/maps/Ppls

PS really yummy food there -- garlic shrimp, fries, chicken and then ice cream and wine (not that I like the later too) so you may want to stay a week. LOL

Edited: 2:22 pm, July 20, 2012
Saint Louis
Level Contributor
302 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Carmel to San Jose airport

Got it. So sad to be packing up and having to leave your beautiful part of our country.

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Carmel to San Jose airport

I was wondering which airport is closest to Carmel? I was thinking it was San Jose, and was needing to make plane reservations to arrive there in November. How long is the drive from Carmel to San Jose airport, if that is, in fact, the closest airport.

Thanks!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,236 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Carmel to San Jose airport

olliesmom if you follow all the posts on the direction from Carmel to San Jose, you'd note that it takes about 1.5 hours. San Jose airport is not the closest commercial airport to Carmel. Monterey Peninsula airport is.