We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to go for a sweet tooth?

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mattapoisett, MA
Level Contributor
667 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
where to go for a sweet tooth?

Hi - will be in carmel for three nights and wondered if you could recommend any good ice cream or special dessert places. Thanks! sue

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to go for a sweet tooth?

There is a place on Ocean Avenue--perhaps between Mission and San Carlos--sorry, I can't for the life of me remember the name--but it's a cafe that also sells gelato--sinful but a wonderful treat. As you walk past, you can see the ice cream cases to the left as you peer inside. For French pastries and coffee, I also like Patisserie Boissiere. It's on Mission, right next to Carmel Plaza. For the best coffee, go to Carmel Valley Roasting Co. on Ocean Ave. They brew their own brand of coffee and it's very good. They also sell pastries (wonderful lemon cake). Enjoy.

Level Contributor
34,207 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to go for a sweet tooth?

Do NOT mis Patisserie Boissiere, it is right by the Carmel Plaza and we fell in love with this place yesterday. First time we had been here. The dining room is small but very nice with roses in glass vases on the table and warm glowing fire was going since it was rainy outside.

We picked up some very yummy Easter sugar cookies for the kids and I had the pear tart. Everything in the bakery case looked very good. They also serve lunch and dinner. We will try it for a meal next time we're in Carmel. :)

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to go for a sweet tooth?

sue and syrah, it's just my opinion, of course, but there are so many excellent restaurants in Carmel that I wouldn't suggest having a meal at Patisserie Boissiere--pastries, yes, but their main courses, in my opinion, tend to be mediocre. I've had both lunch and dinner there. At lunch, the crab and avocado salad and the chicken-apple-nut salad are fairly good, but don't compare to the food you can get at, say, Caffe Napoli or Piatti or Grasings.

Level Contributor
34,207 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to go for a sweet tooth?

Didn't Cafe Napoli go out of business? I know Little Napoli is still there, we had a great dinner there in December. I loved the ambiance of PB, maybe we will just get our pasteries there next time and skip the meal. Still have to try Grasing's. So many great places, so little time, LOL!

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
868 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to go for a sweet tooth?

That Gilatto place that used to be in the Carmel Plaza, or by Sharper Image, shut down. We are Ice cream officianatos and the pickins are slim here on the peninsula. The best Ice Cream around is Marrians in Santa Cruz. Really good. There is a chocolate/sweets shop in the Barn Yard but the hours are slim. There is an Ice Cream shop in Pacific Grove that is going down hill fast. There is a candy store down by Lincoln, on Ocean in Carmel.

Level Contributor
34,207 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to go for a sweet tooth?

The candy shop in Carmel is called The Cottage of Sweets. They have a website, also. :)

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to go for a sweet tooth?

Sorry--you're right, Syrah--it's Little Napoli, not Caffe Napoli. I'm dismayed to hear that the gelato place closed, too. A pretty good ice cream sundae can be had at the Ghiradelli chocolate shop on Cannery Row. The hot chocolate with whipped cream or marshmellows also yummy. I also forgot to mention The Wild Plum on Munras Ave. in Monterey. They bake on the premises and also serve sandwiches and salads. Tiny place, but really good.

Level Contributor
34,207 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to go for a sweet tooth?

La Boheme is also gone. Very sad, I had nice memories there! :)