We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic and good location

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic and good location

My husband and I are looking to spend 2 nights in Carmel and we are looking for a place within town close to restaurants and shops, but not in a noisy location. We are looking for something romantic. Saw Carmel valley ranch, is that in town. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,223 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic and good location

If you type 'Carmel Valley Ranch' into Google you will see for yourself the location of the Carmel Valley Ranch.

I would recommend you stay in Pacific Grove. Romantic, beautiful, close to restaurants and shops and so quiet it's almost deserted. It's wonderful. And a ten minute drive to the heart of Carmel.

Mentioned in this post
Carmel Valley Ranch
Carmel Valley Ranch
1,624 Reviews
Carmel, CA
Pacific Grove
Pacific Grove
Monterey County, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,300 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic and good location

Whether it is Napa or Sonoma or Carmel or Carmel valley, any good hotel site will have a map or you can look at a map at maps.google.com to see where the hotels are with respect to restaurants and shops.

Do you want to stay in Carmel or in Carmel Valley ? If you want to stay in Carmel, and have spent time looking at the hotels listed on the left menu, then perhaps you can give us a budget.

You mentioned Farmhouse and L'Auberge in your Wine country posts so why not look at L'Auberge here and you can read reviews to decide if it is quiet or noisy for you

http://laubergecarmel.com/

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,448 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic and good location

Carmel Valley Ranch is several miles east of Carmel by the Sea, so, no, it isn't "in" the Carmel you're thinking of.

Mentioned in this post
Carmel Valley Ranch
Carmel Valley Ranch
1,624 Reviews
Carmel, CA
Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic and good location

The little village at Carmel Valley has several good restaurants and interesting shops (including a Robert Talbot "outlet" store. The restaurant at Bernardus Lodge is one of the top dining destinations in the Monterey Bay area -- it has a Wine Spectator Grand Award, and the cuisine is a match for the great wines.

Level Contributor
37,647 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic and good location

Carmel Valley Ranch is not what you are looking for! The Normandy Inn would be a nice choice. It is a very quaint property in the heart of Carmel, walking distance to the shops, restaurants and beach. :)

Mentioned in this post
Carmel Valley Ranch
Carmel Valley Ranch
1,624 Reviews
Carmel, CA
Normandy Inn
Normandy Inn
603 Reviews
Carmel, CA
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic and good location

We are going to be spending two nights after Carmel at Post Ranch so don't know if I want to spend over $400 a night at L'Auberge after reading some of the reviews. I was checking out Lamplighter inn but saw that they allow pets(which we don't have) and children(which we won't be traveling with). I like the look of Tradewinds but saw the reviews and I like the look of Carmel Valley Ranch but too far from the area we want. Any other suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Carmel Valley Ranch
Carmel Valley Ranch
1,624 Reviews
Carmel, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,300 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic and good location

Candygirl -- You say what you dont want to spend -- It would help to spell out all your requirements in advance -- budget, no pets, no kids, soundproof rooms, walking distance from x or y.

Perhaps you should look at the B&Bs in Pacific Grove and see if they meet your needs as LDN mentions above.

Mentioned in this post
Pacific Grove
Pacific Grove
Monterey County, CA
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,223 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic and good location

Lighthouse Lodge and Suites and The Olympia Lodge are two I can personally recommend. $150 or less per night. If you look them up I assure you it is pure coincidence that they are next door to each other.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,300 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Romantic and good location

Oh No LDN. You are in trouble. How dare you suggest a place like Lighthouse which allows pets except in their Upper Lodge Suites? Are you sure they don't allow kids ? LOL

Edited: 11:42 am, May 24, 2012
Level Contributor
37,647 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Romantic and good location

The Tradewinds is one you should check out! Especially if you like contemporary rooms. :).