We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice public golf course that is reasonable $$$

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
545 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Nice public golf course that is reasonable $$$

Be in Carmel/Monterey area end of June & looking for nice course for a round for hubby & sons ($100 or less) not too far from coast (where we are staying) -- quick research pulls up Black Horse & Bayonet or Pacific Grove Municipal as possibilities -- anyone golfed these? pros/cons? Any other suggestions?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,693 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice public golf course that is reasonable $$$

The Pacific Grove Golf Course is often referred to as the poor man's Pebble Beach. It's a nice course with a gorgeous view of rocky coastline. And there's a lighthouse on the course! How many golf courses can say that?!? Oh.... deer can often be seen on this course, as well. Ocean AND wildlife views.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
871 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice public golf course that is reasonable $$$

The one in Fort Ord is suppose to be very challenging, according to my relatives that are pros

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
545 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice public golf course that is reasonable $$$

Don't necessarily need challenging, suppose would prefer to have the one with

the nicest view

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice public golf course that is reasonable $$$

You mention roadwork's suggestion in your reply but not Kibblesmom's. Is there a reason why?

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
545 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice public golf course that is reasonable $$$

Kibblesmom review on Pacific Grove is very nicely detailed, so did not need to reply (but suppose should say thank you for replying) ;). Looks like both courses are nice ... Was hoping someone has golfed both & can compare/contrast so hubby can choose.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice public golf course that is reasonable $$$

You may struggle on here to find someone who's played all the public courses in the area and can give you a comparison.

But let me say that your husband and sons will have a memorable time playing Pacific Grove.

It is often listed among the top public courses in the U.S. It really is the closest the poor man is going to get to Pebble Beach. Both geographically and in the layout and location of the course.

Pacific Grove itself is stunning and this golf course matches. It's where you want to send them.

Tell me, are your husband and sons mad about golf? Is this a huge, once-in-a-lifetime trip? You could just blow the budget and suggest they actually play Pebble Beach. They will talk about it into old age.

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
545 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice public golf course that is reasonable $$$

thanks for the input, London -- Yes, husband & one son both love golf, but think a Pebble Beach round/trip maybe left for the future as a special trip for them -- this is the family trip, so on these trips, I "allow" (ha, ha) a nice round for them somewhere (rest of this trip will focus on WWrafting, hiking, biking, kayaking etc, which we ALL like;)), so sounds like 2 votes for Pacific Grove -- if we have the choice, would you say schedule as 1st people out on course, or twilite round?? (will be there end of June)

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice public golf course that is reasonable $$$

Personally I would get out around the time the mist (if there is any) is clearing. It'll be stunning. And a bit eerie. When booking I'd ask them when that will be.

Can I just confirm, you won't be visiting Pebble Beach? You're aware it minutes from all of Pacific Grove, Carmel and Monterey, located on one of the most scenic and famous roads in the world, 17 Mile Drive, and it will thrill your husband and son to be able to stand on and around the 18th fairway and green for ten minutes?

Level Contributor
34,474 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice public golf course that is reasonable $$$

Peter Haye is a nice short course on 17 Mile Drive. :)

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
545 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice public golf course that is reasonable $$$

Thx for Peter Haye suggestion -- hubby, tho, wanted a longer course.

Yes, we will definitely visit Pebble Beach -- Wanted to rent bikes & ride thru, getting pics on the 18th & by the clubhouse ;)