We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carmel 4 Day Vacation- Suggestions Please!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Carmel 4 Day Vacation- Suggestions Please!

I have been searching for a good place for my boyfriend and I to take a vacation in late June/early July. We want to go somewhere relaxing with a beach setting, but also want to have the option to explore a new town and do more than just sit at the beach. From what I've read, Carmel seems like a pretty good mix, with beautiful beaches, local wineries, plenty of restaurants, art galleries, shopping, etc. This sounds like everything I want in a vacation, but I've also read it is a very upscale area. We haven't decided on a budget yet, but I found some hotels that are in the $100-$200 range, so I thought we would be able to make this an affordable vacation, but I am starting to wonder if we might end up spending much more than we planned to if everything is very upscale.

I'm from Texas, and have never been to California, so I was just hoping to get some opinions on whether this is a good vacation spot for us. There are quite a few other places in California that I want to visit at some point, but for now, we are just searching for somewhere that we can relax at the beach, and also experience some new things and a explore a new place with no stress. Also, if Carmel is a good vacation spot, are there places to stay or things to do that you can recommend?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Carmel 4 Day Vacation- Suggestions Please!

Love Carmel. Very quaint. Also check out B&B's. We stayed at the Sandpiper. Walking distance to beach. We found everything very casual, not too upscale. Monterey was very touristy.

Be sure and drive some south on the Pacific coast Highway for the awesome views. Watch the sunset over the water as you eat dinner at Nepenthe or Ragged Point.

Dine along the river in Big Sur.

We did a day trip down PCH while staying in Carmel and toured Hearst Castle. The views are amazing.

Best restaurants owned by Clint Eastwood.

Tour adobe Carmel Mission

Pebble Beach 17 mile scenic drive

Drive over to Carmel Valley

Carmel is an excellent choice for your first trip to CA.

Level Contributor
37,214 posts
956 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Carmel 4 Day Vacation- Suggestions Please!

We had lunch at Le Bicyclette today, our visit there. I highly recommend this quaint little bistro for some awesome food in a cozy ambiance. Be sure you make a reservation. We tried to get in last night and were turned away, I made a reservation for lunch today and they were turning people away today also. I was very glad we got in today. :)

23. Re: Carmel 4 Day Vacation- Suggestions Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 19, 2013
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now