We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Playa closing November 1st for renovations

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
Save Topic
La Playa closing November 1st for renovations

It was reported in the Monterey Herald today that La Playa Hotel in Carmel is closing for renovations beginning November 1st. The new owners have not said how long the hotel will be closed, how extensive the project will be, and city planning officials indicated that the owners haven't even applied for permits yet. This could be a long closure, as the city's permit process can be cumbersome, especially when a historic building is involved.

This comes on very short notice. I can't help but wonder if the previous owners booked reservations for dates after October. If they did, there may be people out there scrambling to find alternative lodgings.

Here's the story: www.montereyherald.com/local/ci_19153845

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Level Contributor
36,644 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: La Playa closing November 1st for renovations

Thanks for the info, sounds like La Playa is in good hands! :)

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: La Playa closing November 1st for renovations

It looks like the building is in good hands. I'm not so sure about the employees.

-Mr. Toy

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: La Playa closing November 1st for renovations

If what the new owner says is true, it sounds as though the previous owner did not do a good job of preparing his/her employees. It's always a shame when people lose their jobs, but I'm not convinced that there's a clearcut "villain" here.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: La Playa closing November 1st for renovations

I agree from what I've read most recently that there doesn't seem to have been any malicious intent towards the employees. However, both the new and old owners seem to be so focused on the business end of things they neglected to account for the human side of things. Meeting human needs is really what good business is all about.

-Mr. Toy

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: La Playa closing November 1st for renovations

I hope they are smart enough to keep the lovely view of the sunset off that solarium room they had.....one of the view places you can see the sunset from inside as opposed to going down to the beach

Level Contributor
36,644 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: La Playa closing November 1st for renovations

The Highland's Inn lobby is another amazing place to watch the sunset! :).

17. Re: La Playa closing November 1st for renovations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, December 29, 2012