We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute hotel in Carmel?

Evesham, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute hotel in Carmel?

Hi. We're currently in San Francisco with our next stop in Napa followed by one in Carmel. We have next Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings tentatively booked in a not terribly impressive hotel in Carmel. We'd like to try to find somewhere with more character, but we have a top budget of $175 a night and are concerned that we won't be able to find anywhere else at this late date. Should we commit to the hotel we have semi-booked or will it be possible to find a last minute bargain?

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute hotel in Carmel?

Hi lizzy. I looked at a number of places, and they were all booked for your dates. Which hotel have you booked?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,575 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute hotel in Carmel?

Weekend nights will always book at full rack rate for virtually every hotel along the California coast.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
645 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute hotel in Carmel?

Does the hotel have to be in Carmel? Would Pacific Grove or Monterey be options for you as well??

Evesham, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute hotel in Carmel?

The hotel already booked is one of the big chains, but the reviews say things like shabby, fusty smelling rooms, yeuw. But it was the only one available. We are happy to stay anywhere with a bit of character really. Somewhere that offers a place to sit and read would be nice. I guess we thought staying in Carmel would be good because we've heard it's impossible to park there and a hotel with parking would be helpful.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
645 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute hotel in Carmel?

It's okay to say the name on here. It allows us to help you better and some of us might be able to provide you more insight into the property! You might be better off right where you are at, as opposed to looking for something else. Your $175 budget per night is a bit limiting for the area, especially for a last minute, weekend reservation ....

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute hotel in Carmel?

I checked the dates 9/30 for three nights at Gosby House Inn, a sweet B&B in Pacific Grove with lots of character--two blocks to the water, half a block from restaurants, coffee shop, etc. They show one room available--$250 a night. If you can swing the rate, I'd say grab it fast. You'll be very happy with the inn and the location.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute hotel in Carmel?

We can help you a lot easier if you just tell us the name. The only major chain hotels I can think of in the Carmel area are the Highlands Inn (Hyatt) and Carmel Mission Inn (Best Western), both decent places. I think there are a handful of Best Western motels in the village of Carmel, but I've never heard any complaints there.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

shreveport,La
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute hotel in Carmel?

Look at rhe Normandy Inn website-My wife and I have stay there for the last 10 years.This Inn is right on ocean ave, the main street in the middle of everything.

Tell Sandra Larry and Anne from Louisiana sent you!!

carmel
Level Contributor
128 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last minute hotel in Carmel?

The village is not sold out for Saturday or Sunday. Saturday may take a little looking but Sunday you should have no trouble finding something.Most of the Hotels and Inns offer some parking just ask. Once you get to the village the car can stay parked, for the most part everything can be walked to.

Evesham, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last minute hotel in Carmel?

So sorry, I thought my post had gone up. Apparently not. We've been back from the US for a while now. We managed to find a hotel in the end. A basic Best Western was all that was available - the last room in town I should think ... it was Poodle parade weekend, so every place was full. Thanks very much for all of your help..