We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can i wear high heels in Carmel?

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louth, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Can i wear high heels in Carmel?

Is it true that i cnat wear high heels in Carmel?

I am going to a wedding there in October and really want to wear my heels but someone told me its a law there or something?

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can i wear high heels in Carmel?

At first I thought this was a joke, but evidently there's an unenforced law from the 1920s on the books. People think of it as a lark these days. I can assure you the police will not descend on the wedding and confiscate your 6-inch Louboutins.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32172-i187-k22396…

Edited: 5:47 am, August 12, 2011
Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can i wear high heels in Carmel?

Scooterboss is right. However, be very careful on the side streets, some of which can have some uneven pavement. Also, if you're going to be walking in your heels after dark, it's not a bad idea to have a small flashlight in your purse. Again, some of the side streets are not well-lit.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can i wear high heels in Carmel?

Carrying a flashlight is always a smart thing, the new LED Flashlights are cheap, about a $1 or so, heck I got a couple for free at the Ventura County Fair last weekend.

I have them placed around the house in case of a power outage or other emergency. Plus placed in the car, and things like a backpack I use on occasion.

Then again, having supplies like bottled water and canned food is also smart.....

I could make some comment about having flat shoes, such as sneakers in case of an emergency ;)

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,894 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can i wear high heels in Carmel?

WOW! I missed that link sccoterboss found from 3 years ago. PGd's comment to syrahgirl had me in stitches. The last time I attempted to wear heels my ankles wobbled. You won't find me wearing 5" stilettos in Grover Beach, let alone Carmel. I'm more likely to be wearing my really cute Coldwater Creek boots with that dress. Only 1/2" heel on those beauties. lol!

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can i wear high heels in Carmel?

Because of Carmel's uneven sidewalks and pavement, some of which have protruding tree roots, the high heel law exists to protect the city from lawsuits. Here is the actual city code. Note, you can get a permit for high heels from city hall.

Chapter 8.44

PERMITS FOR WEARING CERTAIN SHOES

Sections:

8.44.010 Purpose.

8.44.020 Permit Required.

8.44.030 Permit Conditions – City Nonliability.

8.44.010 Purpose.

It is recognized that much of the charm and appeal of the City to residents and visitors alike is due to its urban forest character, featuring the maintenance of Monterey pine, oak and other native trees or shrubs throughout the City. The City has determined to maintain this character which benefits both the residents, by giving them quiet, semiforested neighborhoods in which to live, and the business community, whose prosperity is so closely linked to the attractiveness of the City to visitors. The maintenance of an urban forest throughout the City necessarily involves some informality in the lighting, location and surfacing of street and sidewalk areas, which in turn involves greater risk to those wearing high heeled shoes more adaptable to formal city life. (Ord. 87 C.S. § 1, 1963; Code 1975 § 639.1).

8.44.020 Permit Required.

The wearing of shoes with heels which measure more than two inches in height and less than one square inch of bearing surface upon the public streets and sidewalks of the City is prohibited, without the wearer’s first obtaining a permit for the wearing of such shoes. (Ord. 87 C.S. § 1, 1963; Code 1975 § 639.2).

8.44.030 Permit Conditions – City Nonliability.

Any person desiring to wear shoes with heels in excess of the limitations set out in CMC 8.44.020 may do so by obtaining a permit from the City Clerk acknowledging that the permittee is familiar with the provisions of CMC 8.44.010 and by agreeing that upon the issuance of such permit s/he thereby relieves the City from any and all liability for damages to her/himself or to others caused by her/his falling upon the public streets or sidewalks of the City while wearing such shoes. (Ord. 87 C.S. § 1, 1963; Code 1975 § 639.3).

Notice that the date of the original ordinance is 1963, which is about the time spiked heels came into fashion.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 6:20 pm, August 12, 2011
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,525 posts
5,271 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can i wear high heels in Carmel?

There is NO enforcement of the law against wearing high heels in Carmel and people do.

However if you do walking, it is a bit hilly so it is more comfortable for longer walks to wear comfortable walking shoes.

Note: Same as anywhere else.

Enjoy your visit.

Strange law - but unenforced law.

carmel
Level Contributor
128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can i wear high heels in Carmel?

I suggest to all my guests to get a permit. Not because they need to but because it makes a great souvenier. You can go to city hall on Monte Verde street and they are happy to give you the permit. It is free and funny to have. All the women on my staff have one and we display them in our office. One guest that stayed with us thopught it was so funny she took a video of the whole process. "watch your step",

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can i wear high heels in Carmel?

Bobby, I think your male staff should start wearing heels too!

carmel
Level Contributor
128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can i wear high heels in Carmel?

Nice thought but I could never take the punishment. I watched my girlfriend negotiate yesterdays event "Concours on the Avenue" in heels. I am still in awe. 5 hours up and down Ocean Ave her pain threshhold is off the charts..

Pardon the hi-jacking of your question Edel30.

10. Re: Can i wear high heels in Carmel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, October 10, 2012