We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deciding between two lodging options

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Deciding between two lodging options

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I will be in Carmel for two nights in early November. We're having trouble deciding between a small room at the Lamp Lighter Inn (no fireplace or balcony) or a larger room at the Horizon Inn with both balcony and fireplace.

While I would love to have a private balcony and ocean view I want to choose the place that will give us the best overall experience and a feel for Carmel's vibe. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,934 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deciding between two lodging options

Did you check the Best Western Plus Carmel Bay View Inn? They have fireplace and view rooms a little bit closer to Ocean Ave than Horizon. We have enjoyed our stays there in the past.

Level Contributor
6,404 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deciding between two lodging options

If you generally prefer the friendliness/ social-vibe of staying in a B&B then the Lamplighter would be your cup of tea, and the fire pits/ wine hour etc are fun if you like to mingle. Otherwise Horizon for sure.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,406 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deciding between two lodging options

Agree with Tom. Fireplace and balcony, or the "real" cozy Carmel vibe. I prefer the latter, I can always get the former anywhere we go.

However, when we were there we didn't partake of the "social vibe"....it was our honeymoon.

Level Contributor
38,830 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deciding between two lodging options

Check The Colonial Terrace Inn, very cozy rooms with a fireplace, beautiful grounds and walking distance to the beach. 🏖

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deciding between two lodging options

Thank you all for your help! We ended up staying at the Lamplighter Inn and loved it. Close to the beach and town, and a very quaint atmosphere.

Level Contributor
38,830 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deciding between two lodging options

Glad you enjoyed your choice! We are having dinner in Carmel tonight! ❤️

Reply to: Deciding between two lodging options
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted