We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carmel vs. Monterey

Seattle
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Carmel vs. Monterey

My husband and I are deciding between staying at the Tickle Pink Inn near Carmel or Monterey Plaza Hotel in Monterey. I know the two hotels are completely different.. depending on what we are looking for. My first choice was Tickle Pink, but my hubby is a little concerned about spending too much money. Monterey is more affordable.

If you have the choice between these two hotels, which would you choose? Thanks in advance for your help.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,576 posts
6,407 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carmel vs. Monterey

It sounds like you are coming to also see the sites in Monterey, Carmel, Pt. Lobos, etc. and not just have a romantic get away...

If the case, I think the location and also the hotel (Monterey Plaza Hotel) would be the preferred choice.

I think you'll like the location of being able to walk here and there, the location by the water (versus a view from the hillside at Tickle Pink), etc.

I think you'll love it (and by the way....if your husband likes your choice, I think you'll enjoy your trip all that much more.)

Enjoy and you'll have an absolutely fabulous time!

Level Contributor
38,818 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carmel vs. Monterey

We have stayed at both places. I love the location of the Tickle Pink Inn, it is in the Carmel Highland's just a short drive to downtown Carmel. The coastline here is beautiful. Tickle Pink Inn is more intimate than the Plaza which also enjoyed very much. You will have wine upon arrival at TPI, a nice buffet breakfast in the morning, a wine and cheese reception in the afternoon and there is a nice hot tub there. It is very conducive to romance.

The Monterey Plaza is also very nice in a beautiful location with water views from the restaurants and lobby. There are two full service restaurants at Monterey Plaza, the Duck Club and Schooner's Bistro, both have very good food. There are more families at the Plaza and there is also a rooftop spa there. For a slight fee you can use the Bromine jacuzzis, weight room and have access to the lounge area which has a nice outdoor fireplace and stunning views of the ocean and surrounding area.

It just depends on what you're looking for, both places are excellent choices for lodging in the area. Have fun! :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carmel vs. Monterey

Mini-- Thanks for your response.. we are going to see the sights, but I also am looking for a little romance (since this is our last trip before our baby comes!)

Syrahgirl-- I was hoping to hear from you since I know you've stayed at both hotels. I just found out that there is a garden room available at Highlands Inn in Carmel.. just to confuse me more. So now I have three reservations with still no idea what to do!

I have an oceanview at Tickle Pink.. a non-view room at Monterey Plaza Hotel and a non-view room at Highlands.... Any thoughts on what would be better?

Level Contributor
38,818 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carmel vs. Monterey

I think I would go with the oceanview room at Tickle Pink Inn. It is really nice to have a room with a view and the coastline is so gorgeous around this area. The Highland's Inn is just right next door where you could go for meals. Have fun! :)

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carmel vs. Monterey

If you want pure romance, Carmel is your best choice! For a very few more $$$, you'll get romance and an enjoyable time, if you stay within the confines of Carmel, so that you can walk everywhere. There are several reasonable places to stay in Carmel this time of year.

Eat breakfast at Em-Lee's and have the special french toast, you'll never forget it. Have lunch, not dinner at the Hog's Breath Inn, once owned by Clint Eastwood. Have a Dirty Harry Burger. Brunch at Hog's breath is great on WEEKENDS.

Many nice, reasonable restaurants in Carmel. If you belong to AAA, get a hotel guide book. If not, look here or Expedia for best hotel deals. Calling hotels directly can sometimes get the best price, as I do often.

Again, no comparison of Carmel to Monterey. Camel is compact and you can walk to everything. Montery is hit & miss and very spread out.

Make sure to go to Pt. Lobos and drive/walk along the water in Pacific Grove, just N. of Monterey.

6. Re: Carmel vs. Monterey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 29, 2009