We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Point Lobos and Big Sur

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Point Lobos and Big Sur

Hi. We have two nights and about two days in Carmel area. We want to hit Point Lobos at 8:00 to get an early start, and are wondering how much time do we need to dedicate to this. We would like to be able to head South towards Big Sur area that same day, see as much as we can and eat dinner to watch the sunset at Rocky Point. Is this more than we can do in one day?

Thank you!

7 replies to this topic
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,998 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Point Lobos and Big Sur

Yes, you can fit all that in on the same day. Point Lobos can take as little as 2 hours. It's not a large park. It's about 45 minutes to the road closure in Big Sur from Point Lobos.

Level Contributor
38,788 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Point Lobos and Big Sur

We just did the drive to Big Sur from Carmel on Wednesday. We had lunch at Rocky Point, such beautiful views and it was nice and warm out on the patio. This was our first time at Rocky Point and we really enjoyed the food, service and views. Loving our week in Carmel! :)

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,520 posts
6,403 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Point Lobos and Big Sur

That's nice to hear Syrahgirl. We liked it too when we dined there this year.

In terms of amount of time, I would probably do Point Lobos from 8 - 12 and leave by then. If you leave earlier that's ok, but you will want some time to see Big Sur, so I would try to leave Point Lobos by 12. (I am assuming you are coming in the next few months. In Summer you could have more time at Point Lobos since it gets dark much later.)

You will find the day relaxing and beautiful. Its a full day of activities but its very enjoyable.

Enjoy your day.

Pebble Beach...
Level Contributor
30 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Point Lobos and Big Sur

Previous answers are correct, all that can be done in one day. The outside perimeter of Point Lobos is approximately 6 miles, so it really depends on what and how much you want to explore, how often you are stopping for photos, etc.

Big Sur has many great trails and smaller pocket beaches. They suffered as a town after the fires and slides, so please stop at the small shops if you get the chance.

Finishing at Rocky Point on your way back from Big Sur for the views and dinner will round out a great day. Be careful driving back to Carmel; it's only about 10.5 miles, but it is DARK and can be slow going on unfamiliar, winding roads (especially if you've enjoyed wine with your sunset).

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,392 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Point Lobos and Big Sur

Did anyone notice that OP's question was six months ago?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,083 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Point Lobos and Big Sur

Lol.

I guess we need a few of these

⛱🏖⛩🏝🏪🏘🏛🏕🛣🏚🎑🏬🌅🌅

Pebble Beach...