We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Term House Rentals--Legal or not??

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Short Term House Rentals--Legal or not??

Hello All-

Just trying to sift through all the info regarding the legitimacy of short-term rentals in Carmel. I have seen many VRBO listings, as well as many listings on rental company websites. So far, from what I can tell, rentals of one week or more are allowed in Carmel Valley. However, Carmel-by-the Sea requires 30 days +. I don't want to book a house and come to find out that the owner may cancel on me if he/she gets fined, etc. Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks,

KT

12 replies to this topic
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,998 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Term House Rentals--Legal or not??

Yes, short term rentals ARE illegal in Carmel By The Sea. They are legal in neighboring Pacific Grove. I suggest looking there instead for a vacation rental..

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Term House Rentals--Legal or not??

Short term rentals are legal in the inland parts of unincorporated Monterey County which includes Carmel Valley. They're not legal in the coastal parts of unincorporated Monterey County yet. The county is working on an ordinance but it has been taking a very long time. Coastal unincorporated areas include parts of Carmel that are not within city limits, Carmel Highlands, Big Sur and Pebble Beach. Short term rentals are also illegal within the city limits of Carmel by the Sea.

…carmel.ca.us/carmel/…

http://www.mcvra.org/county-regulation

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Term House Rentals--Legal or not??

Thanks so much! That information is super helpful! Sounds like an ongoing issue...

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Term House Rentals--Legal or not??

Not worth it. They bring trouble. The owners are trouble. The businesses who run these cash and run operations are seldom of character. It will end up costing you are more than just vacation money. Do not do it. It is a nightmare you do not want to step into at all!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short Term House Rentals--Legal or not??

Be careful in Pebble for under 30 days. This will get messy too.

Saratoga...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Short Term House Rentals--Legal or not??

Pacific Grove short term rentals fall into two categories, less then 90days and more than 90 days. The facility needs a license. You can check which houses, etc have licenses by Googling Pacific Grove rent ordinance and there;'s a map that'll tell you the location of each house etc.

Saratoga...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Short Term House Rentals--Legal or not??

Carmel is trying to get a handle on VRBO rentals and they have hired a rental cop that spends the whole day looking for violators. Rent in Carmel by the Sea at your own risk. The owner gets a $ 250 fine for each offence if they are caught. there is no licensing program like there is in Pacific Grove.

Still there are many very beautiful houses with great locations that are renting. Go figure!

Edited: 4:39 pm, November 12, 2017
Saratoga...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Short Term House Rentals--Legal or not??

Yes there's risk (see my post) but the houses that are being rented are all worth well over a million dollars and many are worth multiple millions. (Values the rest of the country can't comprehend.)

Most are second or third homes owned by Silicon Valley professionals making $ 200,000 + a year. They rent when they don't use the house themselves. So, although there are cheats located everywhere, I seriously doubt that someone that has that kind of cash flow is going to bilk you out of a week's vacation money.

Give me a break!

Edited: 4:48 pm, November 12, 2017
Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short Term House Rentals--Legal or not??

Carmel by the Sea has really been cracking down lately and taking owners who don't comply to court. The city of Monterey has started enforcing their ban as well montereycountyweekly.com/archives/2017/1026/…

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,395 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short Term House Rentals--Legal or not??

This is a very timely topic, as Pacific Grove is in the process of changing its short-term rental policy. In fact, there is a City Council meeting tonight to supposedly clarify the city's new lottery policy. To be honest, I'm not sure of the details, but the bottom line is that the reins will be tightened, and the percentage of a city block that can be devoted to short-term rentals will be reduced. montereyherald.com/article/…171119986

Reply to: Short Term House Rentals--Legal or not??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted