We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Carlsbad

Which Carlsbad hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to Carlsbad

We arrive before 1 PM, check in time in Carlsbad is 4 PM. Wondering if S21 is an interesting drive. Can't tell from map if it is near ocean. We have been around the point near La Jolla.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to Carlsbad

OK, took me some searching to figure out that San Diego County Route 21 is what most folks know as the Coast Highway, or Route 101.

So you are arriving at San Diego Lindbergh Field. I would drive Interstate 5 to Genesee Avenue (The large Mormon Temple is near it, and very visible from the freeway), then follow the signs to the Torrey Pines Golf Course, which will place you onto the Coast Highway (Route 101). Here is a nice description of the route, though it is from North to South, so just reverse it.

www.geovative.com/GeoTours/tourView.asp…

Yes, right next to the ocean, though in some parts, such as Moonlight Beach, you will have to drive a couple of blocks west to see it.

It is definitely worth the drive as compared to the freeway.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,073 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to Carlsbad

Just FYI-Hotel check in at 4PM does not mean you canNOT check in earlier.

Most hotels let you check in earlier if they have a room cleaned and ready before that "official" time.

I agree that the Coast Highway-101( have never seen that S 21 name) is a nice drive.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to Carlsbad

Sorry about S-21. I have two different AAA maps that say S-21, though I sure wondered if it was not old 101. Thanks for the tip on where to get off I-5. Place we are staying in Carlsbad is on old 101. So think we will take it. i do not like driving freeways if there is any thing to see on off streets. All I get to see on freeway in cities is the freeway and cars.

Carlsbad, California
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to Carlsbad

Riff M and Darkbeer are quite right in saying the drive from La Jolla to Carlsbad is very scenic and will give you an opportunity of drive by some great shopping and restaurants. Hope you have fun in Carlsbad. Don't forget to stop by the old train station which is the local visitor center.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to Carlsbad

Hi Phil,

Are you going to Kauai this year, or trading a timeshare week for Carlsbad? We were just in Poipu in Oct.

We stay in Pacific Beach/SD to visit my brother and family, and sometimes drive the S21 or PCH through the beach cities starting in Oceanside, one way from Los Angeles and take the freeway back home. It's a nice drive along the coast, think you'd like it.

Was in Lincoln City the week before Thanksgiving. Made a day trip to Depoe Bay and Newport for lunch. Think you camp there?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to Carlsbad

I hope to go to Kauai this next year, to Poipu.

Not sure what all we will do in Carlsbad, I hope to relax some and see our granddaughter

We often stay at Whale Pointe in Depoe Bay

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport to Carlsbad

We are home from Carlsbad, We never got on I-5 in rental car. We drove through La Jolla then up old 101 to Carlsbad, liked enough to do pretty much the same on way back to airport.

Carlsbad Beach Inn Resort had many activities we took part in three, wine tur to temeculs, sail boat ride from Oceanside, tour trip to Hollywood,

8. Re: Airport to Carlsbad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:41 pm, June 22, 2013