We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Legoland for the 1st time

Which Carlsbad hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Legoland for the 1st time

It plan going to Legoland for the first time with my 8 year-old daughter. Will will stay in Anaheim and plan to take a 1 day trip to Legoland after 3 days at Disney.

I will appreciate an advice:

1. for those families who took kids that age to Legoland, Universl and Knotts what attraction they enjoyed the most? In what order would you rate those 3? (we will not have time for all of them, so need to choose 1, maximum 2 if we decide not to go to the beach)

2. What are the most popular attractions for a 8-years-old girl at Legoland?

3. Is there anything like Fastpass to avoid the lines in Legoland?

4. Approximate cost for a lunch at Legoland

5. Approximate time to wait in lines in July (not weekend)

Thank you very much.

Edited: 8:01 am, May 11, 2011
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Legoland for the 1st time

OK, the LEGOLAND Resort consists of three different "parks", the main Ride Park, the SEALIFE Aquarium and a Water Park. So I will presume you will only be attending the main Theme Park.

OK, Universal Studios Hollywood is mainly shows and the backlot Tour, a lot of sitting and "passive" activities. Usually not recommended for younger kids, unless they are big "Movie/TV" fans and want to see the sets.

Knotts is a good overall "mix" for the entire family, great kids area in Camp Snoopy, lots of classic attractions (low thrills) and shows, and some higher thrill rides. Great for the "entire" family, if you are focusing on a 8 year old, Knott's has the best pricing (lowest cost) and is easy access from Anaheim. Also in July, they operate two parks, the main Theme Park and Knott's Soak City, a large Water Park, with lots of slides and other attractions.

www.knotts.com

LEGOLAND is a park designed for mainly kids and pre-teens, along with LEGO fans of all ages. Mild rides and some shows, and lots of attractions that you just look at (aka displays).

LEGOLAND offers a "Premium Play Pass" that includes front of the Line privileges, but it is expensive. $150 for adults)

…legoland.com/FAQ/premium_play_pass/

Lunch is about $10 to $20, depending on where you decide to eat.

waiting in line, it depends on the attraction, but some can get to be about 1 hour on busy days, which is 7 days a week in July.

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Legoland for the 1st time

Dear Darkbeer, thank you very much!

Links are very helpful, I really appreciate it.

It looks that we should start with knotts and if have time then may be Legoand. Will leave Univeral for future visits a few years later.

Since lines are so long we would like to choose rides in advance. What rides/attractions are most popular for 8 years old in Legoland? (preferably not very scary rides). Also which one is the most fun: Knotts Soak City vs Legoland water park?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Legoland for the 1st time

OK, I am not an 8 year girl... I happen to be a 51 year old male, who is supposedly a "Theme Park Expert". (and yes, I am one.. scary, last weekend got a couple of private tours in the NorCal area parks). Weird to be in business clothes walking down the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk with name-tags, and having people in swim suits looking at you like "What is going on.."

So I have no idea which rides would be the most popular for the young lady. In general, the "mild" Roller Coaster attractions tend to have the longest lines. (There are no Scary rides at LEGOLAND)

http://california.legoland.com/explore/

As for the better Water Park, Knott's Soak City Orange County (Buena Park) is bigger and better.So that would be my choice.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,514 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Legoland for the 1st time

i say go to legoland as you will have allready been to disneyland and it will be something different to visit.

mousesavers is a good resource for you that lists current available discount on many attractions for you, here is there legoland page

http://www.mousesavers.com/legoland.html

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Legoland for the 1st time

Also if you subscribe to the free lego magazine it gives you buy 1 get 1 free tickets for Legoland. Or I also have friends who have picked up free child admission coupons at Wendy's restaurant locations in So CA.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,709 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Legoland for the 1st time

Legoland would be my first choice with an 8 year old. There are so many neat things to see, our favorite is tMiniland to see all the models. New Star Wars ones, we may have to go see that (kid is 16 now, lol) Fun mini-golf and so many new places since I was last there. Well worth the visit and if you can, consider staying next door at the Grand Pacific Palisade.

Knotts has some fun for all ages, but we just didn't click with that park especially after Disneyland. Universal with a young kid was a 1/2 day park and my son was 8 at the time and only liked the studio tour part...many of the other attractions were just too much for him.

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Legoland for the 1st time

Thank you very much!

8. Re: Legoland for the 1st time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, October 02, 2012