We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tamarack Res., BW Beach View or Hilt. Garden Inn

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tamarack Res., BW Beach View or Hilt. Garden Inn

Looking like a week early Feb. at these would fall within my budget ie $1000ish. All seem to be on beach and within walking distance of downtown area as likely won't have car. Clean, secure, quiet my main criteria. All get OK reviews and welcome thoughts on which of 3 would get the nod? Flying in and out of SD and all look to be close to Coaster station.

I did look at Beach Terrace but rates seem considerably higher. Realize come late fall rates may fall a bit for offseason winter time. The payahead rates at Hilton very good but word "non-refundable" this far away not good for me. Surf Motel gets mixed reviews here but certainly on lower end of price range and seems like good beach location so any thoughts on that welcomed.

Had been looking at Del Mar or Solana Beach but find myself attracted now to Carlsbad because of beach.

Coronado, California
Level Contributor
78 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tamarack Res., BW Beach View or Hilt. Garden Inn

You will love Cbad! Surf Motel is very small, next to the Best Western, which is nicer, right across the Coast Hwy from the beach. From there you can walk all around the small downtown area with restaurants and shops. The Hilton Garden Inn is nice, also across the street from a beach, but not near the downtown with the beach walk area and all. The Beach Terrace is literally right on the beach, has just been completely remodeled so I'm sure it's pricey. I'd go with the Best Western if you can get a good price.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tamarack Res., BW Beach View or Hilt. Garden Inn

Thanks - BW with CAA/AAA gets good rate ie under $1000 for week. Wondered about Tamarack Resort? seems near BW in terms of location. Also wondering how busy blvd in front of these is ie any problems getting across street to beach?

2nd question re length of stay as likely will have a week and will go w/o car. Wondering if best to split week up between C'Bad and maybe Solana Beach or Del Mar?

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tamarack Res., BW Beach View or Hilt. Garden Inn

Hi again: I saw your reply re Tamarack on other post and may go with car rental to be able to explore other areas between there and Del Mar. Think I may book a night or two at BW at beginning around car rental and make decisions re rest of week based on seeing area firsthand as expect vacancy rate higher at that time of year.

Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tamarack Res., BW Beach View or Hilt. Garden Inn

There is really nothing within walking distance of the Hilton Garden Inn other than the beach. I would recommend the BW Beach View or the Beach Terrace or the Surf or the Tamarack as you will be a very easy walk across the street to the beach and a very easy walk to nice shopping and dining.

My sisters have stayed at Beach View, Beach Terrace, and Surf and have had no issues with any of these places.

Bakersfield
Level Contributor
491 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tamarack Res., BW Beach View or Hilt. Garden Inn

I like the location of the Tamarack. We own a timeshare at the Carlsbad Inn across the street from the Tamarack and can walk to many of the restaurants and shops in the village. A friend of ours stayed at the Tamarack and I saw the room and it was very nice.

Another friend stayed there over Christmas for two weeks a couple of years ago and raved about it. The beach across the street is very nice.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tamarack Res., BW Beach View or Hilt. Garden Inn

Thank you. Glad to have sense of best location along beach. Other question has to do with whether to spend entire week there wo car as sounds like no need for one to access beach and restaurants etc. Flying in and out of SD and think they all are near Coaster station.

Appreciate a line or two describing the beach ie waves, etc (just for walking and viewing and sitting out weather permitting).

Appeal of Surf Motel is the efficiency unit available as well as more affordable. However will check weekly rates later in fall for all 3 as well as Beach Terrace which seems to be in same neck of the woods. Other approach is just to book a night or two at one of them and see others firsthand. Wonder if noise or security a factor with any of them as prefer quiet.

Coronado, California
Level Contributor
78 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tamarack Res., BW Beach View or Hilt. Garden Inn

If the prices are good, i'd recommend the Beach Terrace Inn over all the others. It's right on the beach and in a very quiet location that can't be beat.

I'm not sure if you will find enough to do in Cbad for a full week w/o a car, altho you could take the train to San Diego. You might want to split the week between Cbad and DelMar. Not Solana Beach---love that town, but really not enough to do. DelMar would be much better spot. Or stay in San Diego---plenty to do there.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tamarack Res., BW Beach View or Hilt. Garden Inn

Thanks - have spent a few days in SD a couple of years ago and just looking for beach area to veg out, walk and read so the doing not an issue. I did like the look and feel of Del Mar when I saw it so it appeals. However if I go wo car may choose to stay put for up to a week ending with a couple of days in SD. Beach Terrace looks very nice and maybe rates will drop in Jan/Feb.

9. Re: Tamarack Res., BW Beach View or Hilt. Garden Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, March 13, 2010