We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boogie Boarding

Which Carlsbad hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chandler, AZ
Level Contributor
537 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Boogie Boarding

What is the best boogie boarding beach for 10/13 yr old kids? Thx, Scott

Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boogie Boarding

If these are 10/13 year-old kids from AZ then I'll assume that they are not accomplished water men and probably aren't up to battling with agressive surfers for waves.

You definitely don't want to be in front of Tamarack as you'll be competing with a lot of surfers.

My advice is to go north a couple of blocks and put yourself in front of the lifeguard towers that are around Walnut.

Feel free to reply if you want more details about directions.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,794 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boogie Boarding

ASU that's a good point. Do boogie boarders count as surfers or swimmers?? Our beaches are usually separated with areas for each so in which area do boogie boarders belong?

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
613 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boogie Boarding

Boogie boarders are considered swimmers. As ASU_Sundevil suggested, going a little North of Tamarack beach will put you in a lifeguard zone. There are flags out that indicate which area is surfing vs. swimming.

I would also avoid Ponto Beach. This beach is further South closer to La Costa. Pretty popular with surfers. Surfers get territorial and aggressive.

Another place to avoid is North of Carlsbad Beach.

There is a parking lot on the North end (Carlsbad Village drive) and on the South end at Tamarack. In between the two is where you want to be. There is street parking along Coast Hwy between both ends. If you park on the street you will have to go a couple flights of stairs to get to beach level. If you park on the North end you will have to walk down a blacktopped hill. If you park at Tamarack you are beach level and then you will walk up the beach North a bit past the surfer zone.

Chandler, AZ
Level Contributor
537 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boogie Boarding

Thx for all the help

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boogie Boarding

Hi,

I was wondering about body boarding, too. We were thinking of staying at the the Beach Terrace Inn. Is there a good place to body board walking distance from that hotel?

If not, could anyone reccomend a place to stay around $150 (or less) that has easy to walk to body boarding?

Thank you!!

Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boogie Boarding

You can boogie board on the beach right in front of that hotel.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boogie Boarding

What about at the Best Western Encinitas?

Coronado, California
Level Contributor
78 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boogie Boarding

The Best Western Encinitas is not right on the beach, it's a few blocks back, but within walking distance. Moonlight Beach there is a popular spot with lifeguards. My gripe with the Beach Terrace Inn in Cbad is there are no lifeguards on that stretch of beach, even tho it's loaded with locals and tourists. You have to walk some blocks south to swim by a lifeguard. We had a near-drowning incident years ago, where the lifeguard literally saved a family member's life, so I don't like beaches w/o lifeguards.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boogie Boarding

What a terrifying experience. I am so glad that everyone was ok!

10. Re: Boogie Boarding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 28, 2010