We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vacationing to Carlsbad

Seattle
3 posts
Save Topic
vacationing to Carlsbad

My family & I are going to stay at our timeshare in Carlsbad. It's a 5 star hotel & sounds really nice. I just don't know when I should reserve my room. I don't want to go when it's to cold to enjoy the beach & yet not too hot to visit the theme parks. I've looked at the weather reports in July & August & they all say cooler than 80deg F. Can it really be that cold in Carlsbad in the summer?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,224 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vacationing to Carlsbad

Hi hpkz, Welcome to the forums.

I wonder if your time share is at the 4Seasons Aviara?

It is a great place!

I also wonder WHICH theme parks you had in mind?

Weather is not something you can predict months and months in advance BUT it is common along the coast for temps to be in the 70s in summer. IF you drive away from the ocean the temps go up about 10deg.

Sometimes we get winds blowing in from the desert which makes the coast hotter but these cannot be predicted.

August and September are our hottest months.

Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vacationing to Carlsbad

In what world is 80 degrees cold? Especially a world where there is a large air conditioner called the Pacific Ocean? :)

The only 5-star property in Carlsbad is the Four Seasons Aviara - you'll enjoy it.

The best time of the year to visit Carlsbad (or any part of the San Diego area) is September and October if you are looking for sun, warm weather, and no rain.

The main theme parks (zoo, Sea World, Legoland) are close enough to the coast that it doesn't get hot. And if it does, at Legoland and Sea World there are great water features where the kids (and adults) can cool off. The exception is the Wild Animal Park, which is quite a ways inland from the ocean and routinely sees 100 degree days in the summer.

If you are choosing between July and August due to school schedules I would choose August so as to maximize the chances of sun and warmer ocean water. You also need to understand that the Pacific ocean never really gets warm - 70 degrees is the typical maximum in the summer for the San Diego area with some rare days where it peaks at 72.

Regarding the weather, Carlsbad is a city of many microclimates. I live in Carlsbad - four miles from the beach as the crow flies. In the summer, when it is 75 at the beaches, it will easily be in the mid- to upper-80s at my house. Similarly, in the winter, when the low is in the upper 40s at the beach, there will be frost on the ground at my house.

The Four Seasons is less than two miles from the beach as the crow flies so it will be cooler there than it is at my house.

Seattle
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: vacationing to Carlsbad

The hotel is Carlsbad Seapointe Resort.

I just want to make sure we'll want to be so near to the water. 72-79degrees doesn't sound like I want to jump in the ocean. My family & I are use to ocean hotels in Mexico & Hawaii where it's more like 85+ degrees on average. Simce I am planning way ahead I have lots of options on where to stay in CA, but I have heard that this resort is the one of the top choices with RCI. Since we have compromized our trips to Cancun & such for cheep hotels near Disneyland in the past. This place sounds like it would make us all happy. Being near the ocean & so close to Seaworld & Lego Land.

School is not the problem here, I just figured July or August would be the nicest weather. But we're open for a trip in September as well. I just want to make sure we enjoy ourselves.

Thanks for all your help.

Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vacationing to Carlsbad

Seapoint is not a five-star ... it may be within some time-share world but if it were a real resort and were rated by AAA or Mobil it would not be a 5-star (or even a 4-star).

Due to the depth of the Pacific ocean and the currents the water never gets warm until you get way down to the tip of Baja California (and even there the Sea of Cortez is ten degrees warmer than the Pacfic). In July and August the warmest the water will be is 70 - there will be a lot of people in the water and once you get in and splash around it will feel great. But that initial chill on your tummy is a shock! :)

The air temperature will be nice and you need to remember that unlike on those beaches in Mexico, the Caribbean, and Hawaii the humidity will be lower. Trust me when I say that laying on the beach on a sunny day when it is 75 degrees will feel nice and warm.

Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
238 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vacationing to Carlsbad

hpkz,

We are staying at the same place through RCI as well. We will be there the first week of June so feel free to email me and I will try to answer any questions you have on the resort or area. If any locals have any advice it would be much appreciated.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,224 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vacationing to Carlsbad

QCbulldog, I would be happy to answer any questions you might have but I don't know what type of info you'd like. You might want to start your own new thread with your questions to make sure we see them.

Seattle
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: vacationing to Carlsbad

Hi QCBulldog,

that would be great if you could share your experience.

Now that we've givin it some thought we might just get a cheep little place in San Diego & save our RCI points for Maui :)

So Riffsmom....

If you have any ideas on a nice place near San Diego Sea World I'd appriciate any advice.

Thanks

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,224 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vacationing to Carlsbad

How cheap??

The most popular family hotel lately is the almost new

Homewood Suites/Liberty Station

The hotel closest to Sea World is the Dana but only book rooms in the NEW section.

The Days Hotel/Sea World/hotel Circle is REALLY inexpensive and the area is central BUT not pretty.

Let me know a bit more about what you'd like and I'll offer more ideas.

Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vacationing to Carlsbad

What does "cheap" mean to you?

10. Re: vacationing to Carlsbad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, October 18, 2009