We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carlsbad hotels

So Cal
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Carlsbad hotels

we made a reservation at the West Inn and Suites after reading all the positive reviews here. I am a little concerned with the fact that it is between the 5 fwy and the train tracks. But it seems to be closer to the beach, although I am not sure if the weather will be "beach" weather next week. Then we went on the legoland website and happened upon the new Sheraton that just opened adjacent to Legoland (read something about them having a private entrance into the park (any idea if this is true?). I called and apparently they are still building the 2nd building. Any locals been over that way and had a look at the new hotel? I can't tell from the pictures but it looks like they might have a kids pool/sprinkler area? We are considering booking something at the Sheraton but I'm not sure if we want to deal with the potential construction noise. Ahhh decisions, decisions. I just don't want to be disappointed to hear a train roaring by in the middle of the night at the west inn and suites and could've traded it for a little construction noise during the day at the Sheraton.

what would you suggest? We have 2 boys, ages 6 and 2 who love water... pools and beaches they are happy! We're planning on spending a day at Sea World as well. how long is the drive from Carlsbad to Mission Bay? Should we attempt to get up early to beat traffic or hang back and go after the morning rushhour... what time would be good to leave then... around 10am?

Thanks in advance!

~Tondi

Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carlsbad hotels

1. There are very few trains that run late at night - you might hear one or two freight trains. I would bring ear plugs.

2. If you are concerned about the Sheraton but want fun in the water then I highly recommend La Costa Resort and Spa - the pool area will be perfect for your buys.

3. Beach weather is subjective - this week the ocean will probably be in the high 50s. The Pacific ocean, due to the currents, never gets warmer than 72 in San Diego (and is colder the further north you go). The weather itself will be mostly sunny and cool - you can expect highs in the low to mid 60s at the beach. This winter has been significantly cooler than normal but it is still very nice during the day.

4. Freeway traffic heading south in San Diego is horrible six days a week (Sunday is your only break). You gave no indication as to when you will be in Carlsbad so I'll make my advice as general as possible. Find out the time that Sea World opens on your chosen day (should be easily available on the web site). This week the park opens at 10 M-F and then opens at 9 beginning Saturday for the rest of the month to accommodate spring break. You want to be at the park before it opens - spring break and sea world are very popular. If you are going mid-week and the park opens at 10 then leaving your hotel by 9:00 sharp should be fine. You will hit some traffic between Carlsbad and the I5/I805 split but then it shouldn't be too bad. Again, you definitely want to be at the park with tickets purchased before it opens.

So Cal
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carlsbad hotels

Thanks for your suggestions. Sat down and talked it over with my hubby and we've decided to go with our original plan as far as hotels go. We'll deal with the potential train noise... my 2 year old will probably get a kick out of being so close to the train tracks as he is truck/train obsessed right now. Since the weather isn't going to be that warm I am not that worried about the pool area. We considered La Costa but it was twice the price for a room we might not spend that much time in!

We live up in LA so I know the ocan temps are not particularly warm, especially this time of year. Oh how I wish we were going to the Carribean for spring break... but it just wasn't in the budget! LOL

The kids are jazzed for Legoland and Sea World. We are all set on the Sea World tickets but are still figuring out the Legoland tickets. Don't know if we should order the 3 month thing off of Costco.com or just wait till we get down there and buy tickets from the Costco right near there. Our local wherehouse up here doesn't sell tickets to Legoland. Anyone know if they still sell them in the Costco wherehouse down there? Is it just a one day pass? Do you think we will need more than one day there? We'll be getting the fun pass thing for Sea World so we have the option of more than one day down there too. Just not sure we want to do the drive more than once but if the kids are loving it why not since the beach may not be all that much fun... the weather looks like it'll be cooling off a bit... of course it should warm up a bit when we are back home!

Our trip is only 3 nights/4 days beginning Sunday (3/16)... leaving wednesday. We figured we would shoot for Legoland on Wednesday (if we only go one day) spend the full day... it closes at 6pm... leave there, have dinner and then hit the road back to LA. If we get the 3 month pass we might go to Legoland on Sunday after we check in to the hotel... spend some time and then on Wednesday the boys will know what they want to see more of.

Is there any particular day that Sea World or Legoland might be less busy? I know fat chance since it's spring break!

Thanks again!

~Tondi

Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carlsbad hotels

Less crowds on Tuesday/Wednesday for Legoland and Sea World. Rain is in the forecast for Carlsbad next Wednsday (3/19).

Legoland has grown in the last few years but several of the new attractions might be too much for your boys (they might be too small to ride, especially the two-year-old). One day should be enough, but don't be surprised if they want to go back again.

Costco.com sells Legoland tickets so I assume that Costco in Carlsbad (which is practically across the street from the park) also sells tickets. Might be worth a phone call to check first.

carlsbad,ca
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carlsbad hotels

4inSoCal,

Your kids will really love both parks. I did drive by the Sheraton this am. The buildings are all complete but the scaffolding remains on building #2 and the guys were roofing. Looks like 80% of the landscape still needs to be done. Lots of trucks and workers still there. Didn't see a water play area just a pool. Tennis court is in. Looks like it will be a really nice place in about 2 months when all the work is complete. It sure is close to Legoland. Practically in the park. I agree with ASU about the frieght trains. Not many at night. usually just one around 1am. I remember Legoland having a small water play area a few years ago( been awhile, my kids are teens now) and Seaworld has one. When I was there 3 weeks ago it was under renovation but said it was scheduled to reopen spring 2008. Hope this helps.

So Cal
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carlsbad hotels

Thank you to everyone for your answers... we really appreciate it!

~Tondi

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
613 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carlsbad hotels

Carlsbad has a noise abatement law. You should not hear any trains after 10 PM.

San Marcos, CA
Level Contributor
260 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carlsbad hotels

The Costco on Palomar Airport Road has the Sea World year passes, the Legoland daily passes, and the Legoland 3 month passes. Just went there this weekend and they were all in stock.

So Cal
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carlsbad hotels

Thank You SOOO much I appreciate it greatly! I called a Costco down in San Diego and they only had the one day passes. I got so busy yesterday and didn't order from Costco.com and thought we would just get the day passes. I am THIRLLED to hear that the Carlsbad location sells the 3 month passes. No shipping either!!! WOO HOO! Now we will just cross our fingers that they have still have the passes in stock when we get down there next week!

Thanks a ton!

~Tondi

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
613 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carlsbad hotels

I shop at the Costco on Palomar Airport Road regularly (I work on Palomar Airport Road)... every time I've been there they have had the Legoland deal.

I received a flyer in the mail yesterday that said if you buy a one day ticket to Legoland, you can go into the guest relations and purchase a second day for $1. You may want to investigate that option too.

10. Re: Carlsbad hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, September 22, 2009