We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour LA from carlsbad area

Which Carlsbad hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
saint john n.b.
Level Contributor
41 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
tour LA from carlsbad area

hi

we want to tour LA from carlsbad base for a day. a previous TA member advised a tour compnay that would pick up in san clemente, saving us the problem of driving into the city for pickup. this sadly, is not the case, the tour operator cannot do this. anyone have any suggestions(including perhaps amtack) for picking up a tour. we are travelling with 2 younger teens and are looking for a tour, not a shopping trip. thanks

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,622 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tour LA from carlsbad area

If you have some specific ideas of places in LA you'd like to visit then you could either drive yourself or take the train to LA and then ask in the LA forum how to go to those places on your own. It is not common for visitors staying in Carlsbad to have an actual tour bus take them to LA which is why you are having difficulty.There are tours from the Anaheim/Disney area so perhaps you could meet a tour there as well.Sorry .

saint john n.b.
Level Contributor
41 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tour LA from carlsbad area

hi

i am concerned about both a/ driving into LA and b/navigating ourselves around there...this is supposed to be a relaxing family holiday, and i hear that both the commute to LA and the drive in LA is not condusive to relaxation.

we are a tour bus type of family. like to see a broader rnage of things over a shorter period of time with someone else at the wheel.

as an alternative, i am also considering amtrack, which would take us right into LA(to pick up a tour)and back to oceanside...do you know anythig about the safety of travelling on this train after dark on a return from LA? thanks

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
613 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tour LA from carlsbad area

The Amtrak from Oceanside to LA and back is very safe. My teenage son does this trip often by himself and has never encountered any problems. The terminal is well lit and quite modern.

The Amtrak will allow you that relaxation you are looking for. The ride follows the coastline a good portion of the way offering a lovely view.

saint john n.b.
Level Contributor
41 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tour LA from carlsbad area

thanks very much for your help!

5. Re: tour LA from carlsbad area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, September 18, 2009