We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

List of onsens (hot springs) in Niseko Hirafu !

Singapore
Level Contributor
143 posts
86 reviews
262 helpful votes
List of onsens (hot springs) in Niseko Hirafu !

Here is a list of onsens that I tried in Dec 2012 at Niseko (mainly in Hirafu). Please comment if there are any updates or if any of my information is wrong!

Overview

Hot springs are the best way to soak away your aches and pains after a long day out on the slopes! I love the ones where the outdoor pool is the traditional kind made of real boulders, and not sheltered (very awesome when it snows).

Don’t sweat it if your hotel doesn’t have an on-site onsen as there are several public onsens within Hirafu main village (walking distance). Bring your own towels to avoid rental charges (couple of hundred yen). Lockers are provided FOC.

1. Yukoro (Hirafu Lower Village) – Very traditional & basic, my favourite in Hirafu

Price: JPY600/adult, JPY300/child

Facilities: 1 x indoor (hot), 1 x unsheltered outdoor (hot)

Toiletries provided in shower area: Shampoo and soap only

Toiletries provided in changing room: Hairdryer only

Lockers: Yes, free (insert JPY100 to operate, take it back when you unlock the door)

Note: Very traditional (the only one where we could smell the sulphur from the water). Outdoor pool was made of real boulders, though not large. No partitions in shower area.

2. Prince Hirafutei (Hirafu Upper Village)

Price: JPY800/adult, JPY400/child

Facilities: 3 x indoor (2 hot, 1 cold), 1 x sheltered outdoor (hot), 1 x sauna

Toiletries provided in shower area: Shampoo, soap, conditioner

Toiletries provided in changing room: Hairdryer, hair essence

Lockers: Yes, free

Note: Pools are quite ugly (tiled) although the shower area is nice (granite), didn’t really like this one despite it having the most number of pools. Ladies outdoor pool (overlooking the Ace family slope) was super ugly due to the wooden slats blocking the view (for privacy but still….)

3. Niseko Alpen (Hirafu Upper Village)

Price: JPY700/adult

Facilities: 1 x indoor (hot), 1 x sheltered outdoor (hot), 1 x sauna

Toiletries provided in shower area: Shampoo, soap, conditioner, facial wash, facial scrub

Toiletries provided in changing room: Hairdryer, hair essence, collagen cream, face moisturizer, cracked heel cream

Lockers: Yes, free

Note: Only 2 hairdryers for such a big onsen! This onsen had the most complimentary toiletries for the ladies though. No partitions in shower area. Outdoor pool was not bad – a timber and thatched roof look.

4. Green leaf hotel (Niseko Village) – My favourite but unfortunately not in Hirafu

Price: JPY700/adult, JPY300/child

Facilities: 1 x indoor (hot), 1 x unsheltered outdoor (hot)

Toiletries provided in shower area: Shampoo, soap, conditioner

Toiletries provided in changing room: Hairdryer only (I think)

Lockers: Yes, free (but really small)

Note: Sense of well-being dissipates by the time you bus back to Hirafu….

5. The Vale (Hirafu Ace family lift)

Price: JPY1,000/adult

Note: Didn’t try as pictures looked kind of boring

6. Niseko Park Hotel (Hirafu Upper Village)

Note: Saw the onsen from behind the hotel but not sure if it’s open to the public

Enjoy :)

hualien
Level Contributor
3,137 posts
40 reviews
68 helpful votes
1. Re: List of onsens (hot springs) in Niseko Hirafu !

Thanks for your review, very helpful. I'm researching for my second trip there next month, so this input comes just in time, very handy, thanks. I was there last month but unfortunately, was stuck in Hilton Niseko Village most of the time.

There's also an Onsen in Hilton though I'm not sure if it is open to public.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
116 posts
35 reviews
184 helpful votes
2. Re: List of onsens (hot springs) in Niseko Hirafu !

hi smittenangel,

Thanks much, this is a useful review on the onsens in niseko.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: List of onsens (hot springs) in Niseko Hirafu !

Thanks for the very useful information. Could you tell me whether they are single sex onsens or are they mixed gender? Also, are you allowed to wear bathers (swimmers) in some onsens.

Singapore
Level Contributor
143 posts
86 reviews
262 helpful votes
4. Re: List of onsens (hot springs) in Niseko Hirafu !

@Jet07 these are all separate gender onsens and you are not allowed to wear swimsuits in any Japanese onsen.

http://japan-onsen.com/japan_onsen.htm

i believe there is only one unisex onsen in the niseko area (Niseko Grand Hotel in Konbu which is further west from Annupuri (about 12km west of Hirafu).

Singapore
Level Contributor
143 posts
86 reviews
262 helpful votes
5. Re: List of onsens (hot springs) in Niseko Hirafu !

@maritan yes the Hilton one is also open to the public (JPY1000/adult, JPY500/child).

i didnt try Hilton, cos my friend who stayed at Green Leaf tried both and says he prefers the Green Leaf one to Hilton. maybe you can add to the reviews here !

Singapore
Level Contributor
143 posts
86 reviews
262 helpful votes
6. Re: List of onsens (hot springs) in Niseko Hirafu !

Updates as at Dec 2013- Niseko Alpen is now JPY1000/adult instead of JPY700.

You can see my pics of these onsens in my blog:

…wordpress.com/2013/…

7. Re: List of onsens (hot springs) in Niseko Hirafu !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 25, 2014