We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels around Hearst Castle

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels around Hearst Castle

Hello

We are a family of 2 adults/2 young children looking for very nice accommodation in the Hearst Castle area. I have noticed that some of the hotels in the area do not take children.

We will be doing a late afternoon tour of the castle so would prefer not to drive too far, but up to an hour would be OK in the northern direction.

We would prefer not to head south again as we would have driven from the south that day.

Suggestions would be very welcome!

Thank you

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,246 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels around Hearst Castle

I would expect that you'd check into your hotel before your tour so you can stay right near Hearst Castle in the town of Cambria which is only about 5-10min. south of Hearst Castle.

San Simeon is not really a town but just has maybe 2 motels and a small post office.

Going north you'll have many fewer options for lodging/restaurants etc.

I'd look through the reviews in the Cambria forum and choose a motel there.

Here's one possibility:

http://www.pelicansuites.com/

Here's the whole list:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g32148-Cambria_San_Lu…

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,237 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels around Hearst Castle

An hour north of Hearst Castle is along the remote Big Sur coast. There is an inn at Ragged Point 20 minutes north of Hearst, but it's pretty pricey and you're dining options are limited to what they have on site.

San Simeon is only 10 minutes south of Hearst Castle, offers several lodging and dining options and is your best bet for finding family lodging. There's a pretty decent Motel 6 in San Simeon and a Best Western that sits right on the beach... The Cavalier. The Quality Inn is another San Simeon option.

It just isn't that big of a deal to travel south a few miles after your tour at Hearst to sleep for the night.

The nicer options are in Cambria, another 5 minutes down the road from San Simeon. Fog Catcher Inn, Best Western Fireside Inn, Pelican Inn, Castle Inn, Sand Pebbles Inn, Little Sur Inn

Edited: 9:07 am, February 03, 2014
Socal
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels around Hearst Castle

There are plenty of nice places along Moonstone Beach in Cambria, many of which offer breakfast as well. The distance to the Castle is pretty short, so much so that I've ridden my bike from Cambria to the entrance. I wouldn't worry about heading back south to the town.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
24,593 posts
5,484 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels around Hearst Castle

On Moonstone Beach area of Cambria, we like Best Western - as with the other lodging, close to the ocean. Included breakfast in morning. Staff very nice here.

http://www.firesideinncambria.com/

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels around Hearst Castle

We stayed at the Best Western Cavalier Inn on our honeymoon 43 years ago and found it very, very nice. They've expanded their accommodations over the years since then. We have not stayed there since, but have had lunch in their restaurant (quite good and reasonably priced). It would be hard to find a location better for your Hearst Castle visit, and I think you would be happy with that choice.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels around Hearst Castle

I would definitely recommend staying in Cambria. It is south of Hearst Castle, but there are several hotels and the town itself is worth a stop. You have the option of staying in the Moonstone Beach area of Cambria, where most of the hotels/motels have ocean views. You can also stay near the main street area. My favorite hotel is Cambria Pines Lodge, no ocean views, but they have a beautiful garden, good buffet breakfast in the mornings (eggs, pancakes, bacon etc.) and live entertainment at night. It is also walking distance (via a long staircase and trail) down to the town/mainstreet. You really can't go wrong staying in Cambria. For north of the Castle, I'd recommend Ragged Point. I've never stayed there, but have stopped there plenty of times. It is right on the edge of a cliff with amazing ocean views! Only downside is there is no town nearby and you would be limited to eating and the hotel. Have fun on your trip!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels around Hearst Castle

There are a few "over 18" lodgings in Cambria but many that are not. Lots of options along Moonstone Beach. I've stayed at the Pelican Inn which was nice.

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
469 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels around Hearst Castle

You'll have more restaurant choices in Cambria but as already mentioned, neither is that far to go after your Hearst Castle tour. San Simeon will take you about 5 minutes from the Visitor's Center, and Cambria about 10 minutes.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels around Hearst Castle

Thank you everyone.

We have chosen Sand Pebbles Inn in Cambria.

Now for dinner recommendations!?

The Black Cat Bistro looks good, but closed the night we are in town…..

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,237 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels around Hearst Castle

Robin's, Sow's Ear, Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill, Madeline's, Old Stone Station