We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable eateries in and around Cambria

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
60 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Affordable eateries in and around Cambria

We'll be driving down the coast in Mid July and staying overnight in Cambria. I've been reading up on restaurant listings, but every place seems to be quite expensive. We'll be dining "in style" at Carmel and Santa Barbara and would like to keep one of our evening's meal at a budget. Can anyone recommend a place in the vicinity (preferably in Cambria) that carries decent home-cooked food at diner prices? In fact, diners will do.

Level Contributor
35,920 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable eateries in and around Cambria

There is a restaurant at the BW Cavalier Resort in San Simeon you may want to check out. There is also an Italian place, Mustache Pete's right in Cambria. I would recommend Linn's to you, but they had a fire awhile back and have not re-opened as of yet. Maybe Gourmand can think of some more places for you! Have a great time in Cambria! :)

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable eateries in and around Cambria

Main street grill has great tri-tip, bbq and salads. Its a self-service, but great food for the price. More reasonable priced restaurants are located in Morro bay-fish and chips and the like at the embarcadero. Also in Morro bay, but not on the water is Taco Temple a fusion california/mexican restaurant.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
60 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable eateries in and around Cambria

Thank you both for your responses. We are looking forward to our visit!

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable eateries in and around Cambria

Main Street Grill is right up your alley as someone suggested. Otherwise, why not consider coming to Morro Bay for some fish and chips and watch the birds and if you are lucky sea otters and seals swim by on the Embarcadero. Many, many great fish and chips places here. We especially like Rose's for fish and garlic chips. Tell them you want HOT garlic chips - not already cooked ones. When you get them piping hot with chunks of garlic and parsley and parmesean sprinkled on - well you get the picture!

There are lots of places that are affordable in Cambria. Pizza joints, hambugers, etc. You won't have a difficult time finding what you want.

Another suggestion is the French Bakery in Cambria for light breakfast - coffee and french pastries. Yum.

Welcome to our area! And bring sweaters. I'm darn cold at night.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
60 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable eateries in and around Cambria

Thank you Gourmand - Looks like Fish n Chips or Mexican in Morro Bay may be just what we're looking for in terms of affordable "regional" cuisine. (Burgers we'll get at In n Out when we hit LA!)

And thanks for the extra tip! I was going to ask about typical July weather on the Central Coast. I know the days (when sunny) can stay pretty warm, but didn't know how evenings would be. - It's hot all summer long in NJ!

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable eateries in and around Cambria

Weather is very tricky here. Because if you are directly on the coast, like Morro Bay and Moonstone Beach in Cambria - it can be very very windy and cold. You drive only a few miles inland to San Luis Obispo or Paso Robles and it can be a typical hot summer. Usually 80 in SLO in the Summer and it can be past 100 in Paso. Meanwhile, with my office directly over the ocean in Morro Bay, I still wear velvet pants and a sweater every day! It's crazy! So, just be prepared with all types of clothing. My husband and I stayed in Cambria once right on Moonstone Beach and we had planned to lay out all day in the beach chairs provided and maybe paint. Well, the winds were so bad and we were so cold it was impossible!

On the other hand, if you bring a sweater you'll be fine until you drive inland. (Watch, it will be nice and warm while you are here! Ha!) We only have a few weeks of 80 degree weather in Morro Bay. Mostly it is very cool. Since I used to live in Sedona and Phoenix it feels wonderful to me.

If you can get to Taco Temple - it is my first choice for you too. Just read all the reviews on this site. I believe it is still the number one choice for Morro Bay dining.

Have a great time!