We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants

new england
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Restaurants

Looking for restaurant recommendations in Cambria for dinner. I've narrowed it down to Sowes Ear, Madeline's and Black Caf Bistro. Would appreciate feedback. Thank you.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,002 posts
5,925 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants

Have you considred Robins?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/robins-cambria

If you are going on a busy night, do not go to Sowes Ear - the place gets a bit rude and the food gets a bit ugh...

It can be good on a quiet night.

Of the other two, I would choose based on what you like to eat (check their menu), but I like Robins best.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,963 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants

I like Madeline's a lot but do look at the menus to help you decide.

Robins has a nice outdoor seating area and if I remember there's music there sometimes.

The last time we were there it was just too busy and the waiter was very harried.

It was not our best experience but I suppose everyone has an off night sometimes!

Level Contributor
36,205 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants

Black Cat Bistro has very innovative food. Sow's Ear is more old school but the ambiance is very nice there with the fireplaces and spacious dining room. Have fun! :)

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
496 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants

Sows Ear also has an early bird menu - same menu items but in smaller portions and a smaller price.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,694 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants

Don't know what nights you will be there, but Black Cat Bistro is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

I also concur with the others re: Robin's. Freshly prepared food with an international slant: Thai, Mexican, Italian, etc. And it's just so cute and cozy inside.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants

I guess I'm REALLY old-school. We enjoyed the Brambles Dinner House on our honeymoon 42 years ago, and have gone back several times in the years since, whenever in the area. Last time was about 3 years ago. Definitely not trendy any more!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,694 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants

Brambles has been closed for quite some time now. It actually changed owners who opened it as another restaurant, but that has since closed, as well.

Cambria, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants

Black Cat is the most innovative and best for foodies. Madeline's and Sow's Ear are both "gourmet comfort food" and are okay., not great. Robins has a lot of eclectic options and great for vegetarians. Black Cat is my first pick, always, but we also like Old Stone Station for the steak and seafood style menu.

9. Re: Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 28, 2014