We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan my trip please!

Which Cambria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Help me plan my trip please!

We are planning on travelling to Cambria in August after hiring a Honda Goldwing from San francisco and stopping overnight at Carmel on the way down. I am considering booking at the Sea otter Inn on Moonstone beach but am concerned about walking to restaurants in the evening. Are there any within walking distance as we wouldn't want to be using the bike in the evening? I know from reading the forum that there is a good sea food restaurant near-by, but unfortunately my husband cannot eat sea food. We are booking for two nights, will there be enough for us to do?

Any other help or advice you could give? Never been to US before.

Level Contributor
34,748 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan my trip please!

We just returned from two glorious days in Cambria. You could walk to the Moonstone Bar & Grill which has a nice varied menu. I had their fish tacos for lunch last Sat. and they were wonderful, as always. There is a nice heated patio outdoors where you can take in the gorgeous views of Moonstone Beach.

If you can get into town, it's just a few minutes drive, check out the Sow's Ear or the Black Cat Bistro. I had the Sea Bass in Parchment at the Sow's Ear and my husband loved his filet. The Black Cat also has a nice varied menu. I'll post a full report on our experiences a bit later. You're going to love Cambria!

Be sure to stop at Piedras Blancas and see the elephant seals. It is awesome to see them all stretched out along the coast there. Have fun and let me know if you have any further questions on Cambria/San Simeon area. :)

Level Contributor
34,748 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan my trip please!

www.cambria-online.com would be a nice website for you to help with your travel plans. :)

UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan my trip please!

Thanks - it sounds really nice. I'm busy checking out the website now - the main things (as far as my hubby is concerned) is the availability of good food of the non-fish variety!

Level Contributor
34,748 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan my trip please!

The Main Street Grill, next to the Shell station has received great reviews. We went there for lunch on Sat. but the lines were so long, we went over to the Moonstone Bar & Grill. This would be a place I think he would enjoy, I don't even think they serve any seafood there, so this would be a great place for you to take him!

Good Luck! :)

Merced, CA
Level Contributor
94 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me plan my trip please!

If you can get to town, which is just a couple of minutes drive from Moonstone Beach you can check out the main street Grill for some great BBQ- chicken, tri-tip, baby=back ribs etc. We were there this past weekend and had a great lunch at this place. We also had a nice dinner at Mustache Pete's. They have an extensive menu featuring Italian entrees, pizzas etc.

Merced, CA
Level Contributor
94 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me plan my trip please!

You are right about the long lines at Main street Grill but they move fast. There are atleast 2 registers open (cash only). We were scared after we saw the long lines but it did not take long to get to the front. And the order was ready in 5 min.

Fullerton, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me plan my trip please!

I highly recommend the Sea Otter Inn as I have stayed there many times. Make sure you splurge on an ocean view room (125 or 126). For lunch I encourage you to eat the amazing sandwiches at Indigo Moon or try the onion rings and hamburgers at Main St. Grill. For dinner I strongly suggest Robin's or The Sow's Ear. Sorry, for the best food you'll have to drive into town which is worth the short drive because there are lots of fun stores and antique malls to explore. Also, make sure to walk the fabulous boardwalk that hugs the ocean cliffs twice a day!

UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me plan my trip please!

Thanks for your advice. Before reading it - I have just today booked at the Little Sur Inn after having debated between that and the Sea Otter. In the end I chose Little Sur because the rooms looked bigger and it was at then end of Moonstone Beach Drive nearest to the town. Hope I've made the right choice!

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me plan my trip please!

After much debating, we also have picked the Little Sur Inn for our stay at the end of next week. In the thread I started about Moonstone Drive Hotels, I did not mention Little Sur Inn as a choice. White Water has a 2 night minimum, and Moonstone Landing is booked. Just saw a king room open up at Little Sur and grabbed it. After reading the reviews and seeing the pictures of Little Sur, looks like we made a good choice. The BW Oceanfront looks very nice, but Cambria gets the nod over San Simeon.

UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me plan my trip please!

You'll have to let me know what it's like! Enjoy your trip.