We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel choice for Cambria pit stop

Which Cambria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
88 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel choice for Cambria pit stop

My husband and I are planning a trip in mid-October. We will be flying into LA, will be getting out of LA about 2:00pm,we are hoping to get to Cambria by about 6:00 and stay for the night.

We don't want to spend too much ( $150 or less) on a room in Cambria as this is just our pit stop for our drive up the coast to San Francisco where we'll be staying for 5 nights.

Sounds like we won't be able to afford anything near the ocean but would love to. What would you recommend?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,722 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel choice for Cambria pit stop

I think you might be able to afford staying by the ocean because Oct. is off season. SanSimeon PInes is not fancy but very nice and on Moonstone Drive by Moonstone beach. Anywhere there will be lovely. Cambria is my favorite pit stop on that road.

Frazier Park...
Level Contributor
451 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel choice for Cambria pit stop

Hi,

My husband & I like staying at the Cambria Pines Lodge. It is really lovely, with pretty gardens (we even got married there), the restaurant is very good. Depending on the time of year/day of week, you can get specials that sometimes include dinner starting at $99/night. I think it's worth it to pay a little extra for a more spacious room, (they have some really large ones with separate living areas) and a fireplace. They also have a huge indoor heated pool. You can check it out at cambriapineslodge.com. It is not on the beach, but it's a very nice place to stay, and it includes a breakfast buffet in the morning. In town, we like eating at the Sow's Ear & Linn's. We highy recommend avoiding the Brambles (really mediocre food)... Have a great time!

Level Contributor
34,986 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel choice for Cambria pit stop

You may want to check out the Best Western Fireside Inn. It is right across from Moonstone Beach and a very nice property with heated pool, jacuzzi, breakfast in the morning. I would recommend either Robins or the Sows Ear Cafe for a nice dinner. If you love seafood, the Sea Chest can't be beat, also located on Moonstone Drive. I have photos of the gorgeous Moonstone Beach on this site that you may want to look at before you give up looking for a room that is right across from this scenic beach. Have fun! :)

Boston
Level Contributor
88 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel choice for Cambria pit stop

Thanks for the help in narrowing down my choices. There are so many places on Moonstone drive and I'm sure some are much better than others.

I'll check out your suggestions and go from there. Thanks~

Level Contributor
34,986 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel choice for Cambria pit stop

LA Native mentioned Linn's, which we have loved for years. It was destroyed by a fire in April and remains closed which is very sad. We frequent Cambria several times a year and always stopped at Linn's for some chicken pot pies to take home. I think you can still order their products from their website, I hope they re-open again.

The Whitewater Inn offers nice packages you may want to check out, BEBEBLUE, they are right across from Moonstone Beach. :)

Boston
Level Contributor
88 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel choice for Cambria pit stop

I'll check it out. Thanks~

Frazier Park...
Level Contributor
451 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel choice for Cambria pit stop

SyrahGirl, I had no idea Linn's had burned down; that is soooo sad. We just got back from the Paso wine festival, but didn't go to Cambria this trip...They made our wedding cake, and have a special place in our hearts...the store at their beautiful farm sells food and is a picturesque drive...

Level Contributor
34,986 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel choice for Cambria pit stop

Yes, it's very sad. We will be in Cambria again this month, staying at the Pelican Cove Inn. It will be so sad to see Linn's not up and running. Our kids love to see us return from Cambria with those big bags full of pot pies and olallieberry goodies!

We will be anxious to get to our room, but we are considering a stop at Martin & Weyrich to taste and pick up some Nebbiolo there. It will be great to be on Moonstone Beach again. I'm also looking forward to dining at the Black Cat Bistro. The PCI offers a dessert buffet from 7:30-9:00 which we will try. It sounds like this property offers much in the way of amenities which I'm anxious to see. Heated pool, jacuzzi, wine and cheese reception, dessert buffet, robes, fullly cooked buffet breakfast in the am. and I know they are right across from Moonstone Beach. We have stayed at the Cypress Cove Inn before when it was a sister property to Fogcatcher.

I'll report back after our travels! :)

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
317 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best hotel choice for Cambria pit stop

LA Native: We have reservatons to stay at Cambria Pine Lodge in July. But just today, I was reading reviews on the lodge and noticed that there weren't any positive comments at all. in fact, the commnets were pretty nasty. I told my husband that we needed to change our reservations to another place. But after reading your posting, I'm now confused.

We will be there for one night while we're on our 25th anniversary trip. We wanted to stay at some nice places and didn't want to be disappointed. Any other comments about the lodge would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Level Contributor
34,986 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best hotel choice for Cambria pit stop

We enjoyed the Pelican Cove Inn. I will make a trip report later in the week on our time in Cambria. Have you considered one of the Inns on Moonstone Drive? We also were very impressed with the changes and renovations that were made at the BW Cavalier Resort in San Simeon. New paint, renovated rooms, my husband loved the property and suggested we come back and stay here sometime. :)

I have some photos posted here of our recent trip to Cambria. Don't miss the Seekers Glass Gallery and Linn's Farmstore. TA has added these two attractions to the listings for Cambria with my reviews/photos. Hvae fun, any questions feel free to ask.