We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is cambria a good stop

toronto
Level Contributor
673 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is cambria a good stop

Hi everyone,

I'm coming to California end of june on a road trip starting from Vegas.

I'm staying one night in LA

One night in Cambria or if you have other suggestions?

One night in Monterey

2 nights in San Fransisco.

My question is , would Cambria would be an ideal place to stop over night on the way to Monterey? If we had a secon option where would you recommend? There is 3 girls and we're looking for place that has restaurants, shops , etc.

We're also visiting Big Sur and hopefully Paso robles if we have time.

lastly if you have budget hotel suggestions in Cambria please let me know. I was gonna try my luck and bid on price line .

Thanks

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is cambria a good stop

Cambria is a very good choice. Good Luck. Chuck...

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is cambria a good stop

Cambria is an awesome little seaside town and it's close to where the Big Sur drive begins, so makes a good overnight stop.

LA to Cambria is approx. a 4+ hour drive from LA, so you would have to budget your drive time carefully in order to actually have time for exploring Cambria's cute shops, etc. Check out Seekers Gallery, Heart's Ease & Cambria Nursery (Yes, nursery! Great little place to wander around).

Lodging: Bluebird Motel, Creekside Inn, Cambria Palms, Castle Inn

Dining: Robin's, Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill (Seafood), Las Cambritas's, Main Street Grill (BBQ)

www.cambriachamber.org/

Edited: 7:19 pm, June 05, 2012
toronto
Level Contributor
673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is cambria a good stop

Thank you,

would you recommend Cambria over Pismo beach? There is 3 of us all girls, 30 years old.

Not sure which one would be a better location for us. I have also found reasonable deal on pelican inn moonstone beach, is this a good location and close to restaurants u recommended?

thanks

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
813 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is cambria a good stop

Cambria & Pismo Beach are completely different. Pismo is a casual beach town...there's a pier and several very casual restaurants. Cambria is artsy with fine shops. It just depends what fits you. Personally I love the shops in Cambria, my favorite being Home Arts. I also love Seekers Gallery and walking around both East & West Village. It is quaint where Pismo is more like a noisy beachtown. A very popular restaurant in Cambria is Robin's. If you are looking for livelier night life, go to Pismo. If you find reasonable lodging on Moonstone, grab it...it is lovely there.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is cambria a good stop

Pelican Inn is on Moonstone Beach Drive, which mainly offers lodging options. There are only two restaurants on Moonstone Beach Drive: Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill and the Sea Chest (Cash only, BTW).

seaspirit has pretty much summarized the differences between Pismo Beach and Cambria, but I'll just add this:

Pismo Beach is more urban with a long stretch of sandy beach. Downtown Pismo is kinda run down/dirty and basically offers the usual ticky/tacky T-shirt shops, candy stores, etc. you find in a lot of beach towns. Pismo has lots of casual dining venues from Splash Cafe (Famous for its clam chowder) to Mo's (BBQ) to Ventana Grill (Awesome views, great food) to Guiseppe's (Italian).

Cambria is nestled in a pine forest and both "villages" have hills above them with lots of pine trees overhead. Cambria shops are quaint and fun to browse. Cambria's Moonstone Beach is more pebbly than sandy and it's fun to walk the beach looking for the gemstones that wash ashore. It's a much prettier area compared to Pismo Beach and, again, it puts you closer to where the drive up through Big Sur begins, giving you that much extra time for exploring the coast without feeling so rushed.

So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is cambria a good stop

Hi Tina,

As mentioned by Seaspirit, Pismo and Cambria are entirely two different experiences. Only you know what would be the best experience for a girls trip. I like both areas. Cambria for easy access to Paso Robles, Big Sur and just to relax. Pismo for a little more action, spectacular bluff top views when staying at Shell Beach and its funky vibe. IMO, neither of these places are foodie restaurant shopping destinations, especially after you've been to Las Vegas and LA. Once you leave Santa Barbara the area becomes quite rural. That IS the beauty of it.

I'd suggest using street view on googlemaps. Plug in a couple of hotels/restaurants in both areas so you can see the differences and which one suits you. Also, check the drive times to Monterey from both locations. Depending on what you want to do on the way up and if you're late risers you might want the small additional amount of time leaving from Cambria. Everyone has their own travel style so stick with whatever brings you joy.

If you end up staying in Pismo I highly recommend heading just up the road to Sycamore Mineral Springs in Avila Beach. They have private outdoor mineral hot tubs on a hillside, surrounded by oak trees that you can rent by the hour. BYOB if you wish.

Have a fantastic trip whatever you decide! It's pretty country up there!

toronto
Level Contributor
673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is cambria a good stop

Hi,

I am considering trying my luck and bid on Priceline. They list the zone of Cambria and San Simeon together. I understnad they are only 7 miles apart.

The question is if I find a cheap hotel through priceline at San Simeon would that still be close enough to Village , restuarnts you recommended beach etc?

I am thinking once I bid , most likely I will get Morgan Hotel in San Simeon. We are also planning to go to Paso Robles as well.

Thanks

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is cambria a good stop

The area of San Simeon where the lodgings are located is literally 5 minutes from Cambria. And it's an easy drive, so, yes, you would certainly be close enough to Cambria to dine there, etc.

Be careful with the Morgan. Their website makes the rooms look gorgeous, but many of the reviews I've read paint a different picture. Unless they've completely upgraded all their rooms since my last perusal of their reviews, I would be hesitant with it, especially if bidding for a room. You just don't know what you'll end up with.

Keep in mind that once you book with a third party carrier, you're locked in. So if you get there, hate the room and want to leave, you won't have any recourse available to you.

How cheap do you want to go? There are budget friendly options in Cambria that get good reviews on TA: Bluebird Motel, Creekside Inn & Cambria Palms all have good marks here on TA. And... you would be in pretty Cambria within walking distance to many of Cambria's great restaurants.

toronto
Level Contributor
673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is cambria a good stop

Hi kibblesmom,

I was hoping to bid for under $80 and see if it gets accepted.

My budget is under $100 and I wanted to get a property in moonstone but none is availbale for that price. Unless we stay in village.

I have reserved a room with bluebird for $99, in case I cant find anything better, is that a good location?

Thanks

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is cambria a good stop

Bluebird is located between the east and west villages, so it's a good location, although you will have a bit of a walk into each part of town, but not a major inconvenience.

I stayed there once many, many moons ago and it was fine. Nothing fancy, but it was clean and worked for our needs at the time.

Creekside Inn is pretty close to the east village, so you might want to have a look at it. It's located toward the south entrance of town, so it should be quieter at night and you're within easy walking distance of a pizza place, a Mexican food place, Wild Ginger (Asian food), a coffee bar & bakery. Sow's Ear and Robin's aren't much further.