We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Piedras Blancas lighthouse have operating hours?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Does Piedras Blancas lighthouse have operating hours?

Is the Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery accessible 24 hours? I read that it is on the beaches near Piedras Blancas lighthouse. Can I suppose then that it is available anytime? Thanks!

Sorry, my post should read "Is Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery accessible 24hours?"

Edited: 11:29 am, November 14, 2011
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,590 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Piedras Blancas lighthouse have operating hours?

Yes, it's accessible 24/7, but you won't see much after dark. The beach is fenced off preventing people from getting near the seals. They can be deadly, BTW, so don't do anything foolish if you get there after dark. There is a designated parking lot just south of the rookery beach.

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
494 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Piedras Blancas lighthouse have operating hours?

Here's more specific information about the Elephant Seal rookery

http://www.elephantseal.org/

As Kibblesmom said, these are WILD animals and there are no lights at the rookery, and you are out in the middle of nowhere. So if you're there after dark, you'll hear them but see nothing.

3. Re: Does Piedras Blancas lighthouse have operating hours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:30 am, November 15, 2012