We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to dine for evening dinner..staying Sand Pebble Inn

Which Cambria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Where to dine for evening dinner..staying Sand Pebble Inn

Hi

we are doing our SF to LA coastal drive with a one night stop, arriving most likely between 5-6pm at the Sand Pebble Inn on a friday evening in April

What will be good choices for a nice casual evening meal. Are all the restuarants in town driving, or are there any very close that we could walk to that could be recommended?

We will most likely be tired and would like a nice quick meal, no fuss and a relative early night. Will we need to book at any places for a friday night or are walk ins normal?

Recommendations anyone?

san francisco
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to dine for evening dinner..staying Sand Pebble Inn

Lucky you - one of my favorite beaches! From the hotel, walk over to the Sea Chest restaurant - you will love it. No reservations, so get in line at 5:30 for dinner - we love to sit at the bar and watch the chefs flaming the fabulous seafood. If you love oysters, try their Devils on Horseback...amazing. Have fun.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,897 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to dine for evening dinner..staying Sand Pebble Inn

Hi Linda

There are only 2 restaurants on Moonstone Beach Drive: the aforementioned Sea Chest (they only accept cash, BTW) and Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill.

The good news is that the drive into town is short and there are some great options in town: Main Street Grill would be closest to your hotel. Kind of a BBQ place that also offers sandwiches, salads, etc., Robin's or Sow's Ear are cozy romantic options with very good food.

Level Contributor
34,748 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to dine for evening dinner..staying Sand Pebble Inn

If you're a seafood lover, go with the Sea Chest for sure. Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill has a nice variety of food and pretty views, also. Robin's, The Sow's Ear Cafe and Black Cat Bistro are also wonderful places to dine in Cambria. Have fun! :)

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
160 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to dine for evening dinner..staying Sand Pebble Inn

Sea Chest is good for dinner and casual, but no reservations so arrive early and pricey.

While we were eating our dinner I noticed a "very small" sign next to the kitchen that said we only accept cash. Thankfully, I had stopped at the atm early that morning.

We had the halibut and it was good, but the next night we ate at Moonstone Bar & Grill and the seafood was 10x better than the Sea Chest. If you are ever in Cambria on a Sunday morning, sun shining, the Moonstone Bar & Grill offers an affordable Delicious Champagne Brunch. You can't miss eating there with the ocean directly in front of you.

Have a good time.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to dine for evening dinner..staying Sand Pebble Inn

It depends on what kind of traveller you are.... we had one night only at SP so we went out to the beach before dinner and stayed there so long we ended up picnicking in our room (we had supplies with us). So you might consider stopping for a nice lunch and bringing food with you for dinner and spending daylight on the beach instead of waiting for a table. We saw other guests taking their wine and nibbles to a side door of the motel to watch the sunset.

And when you walk on the beach be sure to head north from SP or you'll miss the seals!

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to dine for evening dinner..staying Sand Pebble Inn

thanks guys

I dont eat seafood , but my husband loves it

I guess maybe Moonstone Bech & Grill would be best option then?

My husband we will a proper meal! After travelling all day, we will stop in Carmel for lunch, but he will want a meal with vegetables, not a snack :-) I could do with that for sure, some wine and nibbles would be fine for me ! lol More wine and you forget about the food ! lol

Do all the places in town open early for breakfast on a saturday? We will be getting up pretty early to get to Hearst Castle (Im thinking a ten am tour) so might go into town ealier for breakfast and a look around?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,897 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to dine for evening dinner..staying Sand Pebble Inn

Hi Linda

The locals brag on the Redwood Cafe as having the best breakfast in town. I don't know what time they open in the morning, but the following link with reviews posts their phone number, so you could always give them a call to find that out. I imagine they would be open by 8:00 am at the latest.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/redwood-cafe-cambria

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to dine for evening dinner..staying Sand Pebble Inn

thanx Sharon

locals know best!

Ive made a note of it

cheers

Grover Beach...