We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black sand on moonstone beach with lots of sparkle in it

Los osos
2 posts
Save Topic
Black sand on moonstone beach with lots of sparkle in it

Hi everyone today my granddaughter and I took a walk on moonstone beach my question is what is the black sand with what looks like glitter all through it we saw several spots on the beach with this black sand. We enjoyed it so much we took some home with us I would also like to comment on one thing that was sad not long after we got on the beach we ran into a dead sealion that smelt and looked like it had been laying on the beach for some time it had all of its fins missing do they not have some one who takes care of this the smell was very bad and there was alot of familys with small children on the beach I know it is nature but how sad for the kids to see this.But I must say we continued on our walk and not far from the sea lion we came upon the cutest baby seal or sea lion basking on the beach enjoying the hot sun at first we thought he was hurt but as we watched him as the water got close to where he was laying he would move further up the beach. On our walk back he was still there and to our delight he decided it was time to get back in the water and look for mom or day snd he was a joy to watch as he headed for the water. If anyone hknows what and where the back sand comes from please let me know

1. Re: Black sand on moonstone beach with lots of sparkle in it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 13, 2009