We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

monterey for 2 nights or 1 then 1 in Cambria en-route SF/LA

Surrey
Level Contributor
58 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
monterey for 2 nights or 1 then 1 in Cambria en-route SF/LA

After 4 nights in San Francisco we have planned two nights in Monterey before travelling back to Santa Monica for the last night of our 3 week road trip from UK. Would we be better having one night in Monterey and one in Cambria/San Simeon area to break up the journey. We had hoped to include a trip to Hearst Castle if time permits, but don't want to rush our journey down the coast. Advise please. We are a 50 something couple who enjoy good food and a comfy bed for the night. Thanks

Level Contributor
36,205 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: monterey for 2 nights or 1 then 1 in Cambria en-route SF/LA

Since you are right across the street from the ocean, I don't think it's necessary to book an oceanview room for that much more. We are usually out of our room during the day and after dinner when you return, it's dark anyway. In the morning, we like to stroll the boarded walkway that runs along Moonstone Beach, then you go back to your room to get ready for check out which is usually around 11:00. You could spend that extra money you are saving on a great meal in Cambria, ie, the Sow's Ear, Robin's, Black Cat Bistro.

We recently stayed at the Tickle Pink Inn in the Carmel Highland's area and saved $70 to have a room without a balcony, the views were still stunning and we didn't feel deprived at all with our room. This was also just a one night stay. :)

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,694 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: monterey for 2 nights or 1 then 1 in Cambria en-route SF/LA

The Castle Inn in Cambria is an affordable ocean facing accommodation you might consider. It's probably just an average hotel, but it's only for 1 night. The best located inns on Moonstone Beach Drive, though, are Moonstone Landing, the Fog Catcher & Sand Pebbles Inn. Those are closest to the water with dramatic views. See if there are any rooms available with partial ocean view, as these are less expensive.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: monterey for 2 nights or 1 then 1 in Cambria en-route SF/LA

unless you plan on doing nothing but sitting on your balcony watching the world pass by all day, not necessary to have an ocean front room. you'll get plenty of that on your spectacular drive. besides, can't see nothing after dark when you are actually in your room. have a nice walk on the boardwalk in the morn. happy travels!

Level Contributor
36,205 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: monterey for 2 nights or 1 then 1 in Cambria en-route SF/LA

I really like the location of the Castle Inn by the Sea, I have some photos posted on this site of the hotel and pool area. This hotel is right in front of the path that we use to go down to Moonstone Beach where we have spent many afternoon relaxing on the beach, reading, walking and watching the seals out on the rocks. Their pool area also looks so inviting at this property and I like the way they always have a couple of Adirondack chairs out in the front for guests to use for relaxing and taking in the beautiful view in front of the property. :)

Cambria, California
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: monterey for 2 nights or 1 then 1 in Cambria en-route SF/LA

Also if wine tasting is of interest to you, I'm happy to say that Cambria has 3 new wine tasting Facilities. J Paul Rosilez, Moonstone Cellars and Lions Peak all recently opened in Cambria. Fermentations is also very nice for tasting

Level Contributor
36,205 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: monterey for 2 nights or 1 then 1 in Cambria en-route SF/LA

How hice to have a few more places to wine taste in Cambria, Fermentations has always been one of our favorite places for wine tasting in Cambria and they always have those yummy dips and oils out also there. :)

Surrey
Level Contributor
58 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: monterey for 2 nights or 1 then 1 in Cambria en-route SF/LA

A decision has finally been made!!! We have booked the Moonstone Landing - an upstairs king with "view of the ocean" - $100 cheaper than full ocean view - so as suggested, can spend the difference on a lovely meal and a nice bottle of wine. We are planning to visit Hearst Castle en-route from Monterey, leaving ourselves plenty of time to enjoy dinner and hopefully a lovely sunset so will now check out your info on a restaurant - within walking distance of the Inn. Thanks for all the suggestions. How long should we allow to do the first time visitors' tour of Hearst Castle? Is it best to check-in at 3pm then head off or do it first? Do we need to book for 7th July? Thanks...

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: monterey for 2 nights or 1 then 1 in Cambria en-route SF/LA

I would definitely book ahead of time for a tour of Hearst Castle, especially in the summer. I do not remember how long the tour lasts....I think a couple of hours.

Level Contributor
36,205 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: monterey for 2 nights or 1 then 1 in Cambria en-route SF/LA

I hope you enjoy your time at the Moonstone Landing and in Cambria, let us know how it goes! :)

Cambria, California
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: monterey for 2 nights or 1 then 1 in Cambria en-route SF/LA

I had some family stay at Moonstone Landing a couple weeks ago. I was very impressed with the Hotel and the service they received. It is also one of the newest hotels on Moonstone Drive.