We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch 1/2 way between Cambria & Monterey ?

Gold Canyon, Arizona
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Topic
Lunch 1/2 way between Cambria & Monterey ?

Anybody got any recs for a nice place for lunch about halfway between Cambria and Monterey ? Leaving Pismo in the morn and staying in Monterey.

ThanQ

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
865 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch 1/2 way between Cambria & Monterey ?

Assuming you're driving up Hwy 1, Nepenthe! It's a classic with fantastic views.

Gold Canyon, Arizona
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch 1/2 way between Cambria & Monterey ?

Thanks Cavaletta, I thought about Nepenthe, but, I just can't bring myself to spend 17.25 for a mushroom sandwich or 15.00 for a cheeseburger, I can afford it, but, gotta draw the line in principle. Any other ideas ?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch 1/2 way between Cambria & Monterey ?

You are not going to find cheap eats anywhere between Cambria and Monterey. The costs associated with trucking food into the remote areas of Big Sur are partly the reason why.

Your realistic options are:

Ragged Point (just as expensive as Nepenthe)

Gorda (a rest stop along Rte 1)

Lucia (a rest stop along Rte 1)

Nepenthe

.... and other restaurants through Big Sur, such as the one at The River Inn, but without the spectacular views. If this is a once in a blue moon trip, splurge a little and enjoy it.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,499 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch 1/2 way between Cambria & Monterey ?

WE have gone to the deli in Cambria before leaving and having them put together a picnic lunch, then we open up one of our wines purchased in Paso and really have a feast with a view.

Iam like you. I refuse to pay that much for a hamburger.

Enjoy!!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
622 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch 1/2 way between Cambria & Monterey ?

Please go to Nepenthe! :) You'll love it. Have at lease one person in your family order an Ambrosia Burger. So delicious!! And my other favorite item on the menu is the three-way salad. It's a sampling of bean salad (yum!), coleslaw and green salad. For the green salad get the house dressing, which is vinaigrette with crumbled bleu cheese.

Besides delicious food, the experience of Nepenthe is just so memorable. I really do think you should go.

Gold Canyon, Arizona
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch 1/2 way between Cambria & Monterey ?

Well.... okay..okay, since travelbug said please and even added a smile And.... since we don't pass thru here very often and who knows when the next blue moon is coming And.... since my nickname is "lifes2short", I promise to try and stop there and have lunch. What if it's raining and foggy and I don't even know which way the ocean is, still worth it ?

I shall give my honest and humble opinion of it too !

P.S. If you see a big guy in the parking lot at lunchtime asking for a dollar around the middle of Febuary, be generous it might be me trying raise some cash to pay for my "Ambrosia Burger". :)

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
622 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch 1/2 way between Cambria & Monterey ?

:) :) :) :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,956 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch 1/2 way between Cambria & Monterey ?

Okay, I give up ... just what is the Ambrosia burger?

California
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch 1/2 way between Cambria & Monterey ?

"What if it's raining and foggy and I don't even know which way the ocean is, still worth it ?"

Under those circumstances I would have to say no. But, anywhere you stop along that stretch is going to be expensive and the same foggy, raining conditions would apply to them all. Really it's all about the view and they won't lower the prices due to lack of visibility ;-)

I like both Nepenthe and Rocky Point and would choose based on how hungry I was when I drove by the first one...

For a restaurant with no view, I would choose Big Sur Roadhouse, but I don't think they're open for lunch. And although it doesn't look like much, the bar/grill at Fernwood serves a pretty good sandwich and is less expensive then some of the other places.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
622 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lunch 1/2 way between Cambria & Monterey ?

The Ambrosia burger is a cheeseburger that's just simply delicious. I'm not a big hamburger fan, so the only ones I really like are those that are Yummy with a capital Y. One element that makes the Ambrosia burger so fantastic is the fresh-baked bun it's served on.

If it's totally rainy/foggy and there's no view that day I think your next best option for lunch would be the Big Sur Bakery. (Big Sur Roadhouse is not open for lunch.) Big Sur Bakery IS a bakery, but there is also a dining room with wood-fired pizzas, burgers, delicious home made soups, and out-of-this-world salads. If you're a salad lover, get the:

•organic mixed field greens with roasted carrots, fresh herbs, lemon poppyseed dressing and sunflower seeds

It is such a delicious salad, you'll be thinking about it for weeks afterwards.

You won't have the "experience" that Nepenthe will give you, but the food is definitely very good.