We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calistoga & Napa Restaurants

Which Calistoga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
405 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Calistoga & Napa Restaurants

I have been looking for restaurants for two nights for my son and I that would be inexpensive, yet good and memorable. We would need one in Calistoga, and the second night we will be leaving Robert Mondavi Winery, and headed south for dinner. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,313 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calistoga & Napa Restaurants

What price range is "inexpensive" for you? Generally, when we don't want to spend much, we go out for Mexican or Pizza or maybe for a good burger. What type of cuisine are you interested in?

And, why would you be going south after Mondavi if you are staying in Calistoga? Calistoga and Napa are 35 - 45 minutes apart so dining in one when staying in the other is usually not a good idea. Or, is it Yountville you want to dine in? If you want inexpensive, I would dine in St. Helena or Calistoga rather than Yountville in the evening.

Level Contributor
34,486 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calistoga & Napa Restaurants

In Calistoga, All Seasons Cafe! :)

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
405 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calistoga & Napa Restaurants

We are staying in Calistoga one night and on our way back to SFO the next evening we will stop an Mondavi on the way out, but will need a place for dinner. As to what type food-would prefer something other than Mexican, pizza or burger-maybe a $50 dinner for the two of us including just softdrinks-no alcohol, no appetizer. Pasta, steak, "homecooked" meals, something unique to your area (as cajun food is to Louisiana).

Thanks!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,185 posts
5,164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calistoga & Napa Restaurants

Drive just a bit back north up highway 29 to St. Helena.

A very good "local's place" with all kinds of great food is

Goose and Gander

http://www.goosegander.com/

(Note: Its also a popular place to go for cocktails - but given their range of prices on the menu for good food....its a good place to go.).

What makes it California? Its got a nice wine country vibe in a beautiful garden and indoor restaurant setting - Pat Kuleto originally designed the restaurant when it was called Martini House.

If you are looking for something to go between Napa and the airport, perhaps Berkeley.

Chez Panisse Cafe

http://www.chezpanisse.com/menus/cafe-menu/

This is run by Alice Waters, is "an American pioneer of a culinary philosophy that maintains that cooking should be based on the finest and freshest seasonal ingredients that are produced sustainably and locally

For more from that article see.

California cuisine is excellent in the farm to table experiences....

www.chezpanisse.com/about/alice-waters/

Level Contributor
34,486 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calistoga & Napa Restaurants

We had a really good lunch at Chez Panisse, I second mini's recommendation! :)

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,313 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calistoga & Napa Restaurants

Rather than go back up to St. Helena, you could go to the Oxbow Marketplace in Napa where there is a variety of reasonably priced dining options.

http://oxbowpublicmarket.com/

We like to eat in Berkeley too on our way to the airport. We like to stop at Skates where the view is superb and its easy to get to from the freeway.

http://skatesonthebay.com/

Chez Panisse is great but I'm not sure that's the kind of place you are looking for.

You need to be concerned with traffic if leaving the Valley in the late afternoon. That could help determine the best place for you to dine.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
212 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calistoga & Napa Restaurants

I think there are a lot of places between Mondavi and Napa to have a reasonably priced and local dinner.

Mustard's Grill is directly on Hwy 29. This is one of Cindy Pawlcyn's restaurants and is one of the first wine country restaurants. Dinner may be slightly more than $50 for the two of you.

R&D Kitchen in Yountville. This is part of the same restaurant group that owns Rutherford Grill, however the menu is completely different. The chicken sandwich is incredible and OMG the triple layer carrot cake is delish! Three of us shared a slice the other night and it was plenty.

In Napa, on a frontage road near Hwy 29 is Fume Bistro, also nice. Fresh Seasonal.

All of these restaurants take reservations, which depending on the day of the week and time of year you are visiting might be necessary. Sample menus for these places are also online so you can see if you like what they are offering.

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calistoga & Napa Restaurants

I like Boskos in Calistoga. The menu has something for everyone. Great wines and reasonably priced.

Napa
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calistoga & Napa Restaurants

All Seasons, Busters, Calistoga Inn & Brewery, SolBar, JoLe ,Boskos- you might want to make it $30 each in Calistoga.

Napa Valley Bistro, Ristorante Allegria, Celedon, Tarla's, Bistro Don Giovanni, The Pear for Napa.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,977 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Calistoga & Napa Restaurants

All Seasons is one of our long-time favorites in Calistoga. In the middle of the valley, can't do better than Rutherford Grill for excellent food at a reasonable cost. In Napa, Ristorante Allegria is our first choice when visiting the area.