We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time to allow for each winery?

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
460 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
How much time to allow for each winery?

As a first time visitor to the following wineries, how much time should I allow? I realize each ind. person will be different, but as some require reservations, and this being my first visit to a winery, what is a good estimate? We are visiting Chateau Montelane, Vincent Arroyo, Lava, Summers, Robert Mondavi and Cakebread (sorry if any are misspelled)..

Thanks!

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time to allow for each winery?

Also, forgot to state that we will be visiting these wineries on the first Tuesday in June.

Thanks!

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time to allow for each winery?

It seems that an hour is usually an average amount of time that allows for a leisurely experience without rushing.

Houston
Level Contributor
218 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time to allow for each winery?

I agree that an hour would be a good guess - but when scheduling your appointments, don't forget to take into account the time it will take to travel between the wineries and what road you'll be on. I would imagine that June will be a busy time, but perhaps a Tuesday won't be as bad as Friday-Monday… but 29, especially through St. Helena, can be fairly congested.

Are you trying to visit all 6 of these in one day? That is, in my opinion, way too ambitious. Especially if you are tasting wine at each one - and it's your first time - or is it just your first time at these particular wineries? My experience with first time wine tasters is that they don't pace themselves and get pretty wasted by the end of the day - particularly if they try to go to 6 wineries!

If you are determined to get to all 6, by all means plot out on a map where they are so that you don't back track or waste time crisscrossing. And verify each winery's hours - I think that Chateau Montelena closes at 4:00.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time to allow for each winery?

IF you are planning to drink the wine at each winery as opposed to tasting and spitting out, then I think that 6 is tooo many , especially if you are driving yourself!

Please consider at least doing 3 in the AM and then leaving time for a loooong leisurely lunch before doing the last 3.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,583 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time to allow for each winery?

I also agree that six is too many plus you do not have to drink or taste all the wines just because they are there. We would taste maybe one white if they had something interesting and go straight to the reds and share a glass (most wineries allow this).

Level Contributor
35,953 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time to allow for each winery?

We wine taste alot and share tastings the majority of the time when we will be visiting several wineries in a sort amount of time. Stay hydrated and try to taste on a full stomach. :)

Houston
Level Contributor
218 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time to allow for each winery?

Splitting a tasting is an excellent idea. I've never encountered a problem with asking to split a tasting. Also, dumping the remaining wine after a taste is perfectly fine and expected, especially if that wine wasn't to your liking. And even if I like the wine, sometimes the person pouring has an extremely generous idea of how much should be in a taste, so rather than go overboard, into the dump bucket it goes. Gotta pace yourself or have problems later on!

One last thought - your taste buds are gonna be shot after about the 4th winery, so be careful what you buy! We've taken to going to new places in the morning when we are fresh and going to places we know we like in the afternoon - that way we don't end up with wine that has us wondering what we were thinking when we bought it!

8. Re: How much time to allow for each winery?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 18, 2015