We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This is my first trip to LA and I don't know where to stay

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
This is my first trip to LA and I don't know where to stay

I am hoping to book a holiday from United Kingdom to LA for 3 weeks next June. I normally holiday in a villa in Florida and decided after 6 years in Florida it was time for a change. I would be extremely grateful for any advice and tips you could give me. We are considering 17 nights at Knotts Berry Farm Resort and then moving on down to Hilton Mission Bay at San Diego for 4 nights. Will 17 nts in Buena Park be too long? While we would be based in Buena Park for the first 17 nights we were going to go to Disney, Universal, Hollywood, Beverley Hills and Santa Monica. We love shopping - are there any outlets and malls close by? We also love nice beaches - any recommendations? We will be travelling with 2 daughters (10 + 7). Will 4 nights be long enough in San Diego? We would like to go to Sea World and San Diego Zoo and also shopping - are there any outlets or malls in San Diego? We will have a car and we are prepared to travel to the best outlets or malls. What is the shopping like in LA is it better than Florida? Will there be Walmart and Target Stores in LA? Also what are your comments on the accommodation? We want something nice but not too expensive? I hope to hear from some kind and helpful people soon. Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Florida
Florida
United States
San Diego
San Diego
California
Special Offer
Knott's Berry Farm General Admission...
89 Reviews
from $54.99*
$84.99
Special Offer
Pirates Dinner Adventure Buena Park
21 Reviews
from $59.99*
$67.11
Special Offer
Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament...
33 Reviews
from $53.99*
$66.65
Carterton, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: This is my first trip to LA and I don't know where to stay

I'm not an expert but you would be better to ask this in the Anaheim forum even though you are in BP. 17 nights in BP on its own would be too much but since you are using it as a base it is probably not a bad option. Anyway - ask in Anaheim and see what happens.There are malls (both outlet and retail) within reasonable driving distance as well. You might be better to split the trip and stay over in Hollywood for the Universal/Hollywood/Beverly Hills part - if so Magic Castle or Orchid Suites review pretty well.

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: This is my first trip to LA and I don't know where to stay

4 days is a good amount of time in San Diego. 17 nights in Buena Park is way too much. Its a great base for Knotts Berry Farm and the Disney parks, but not good for Universal, Hollywood, Beverly Hills or Santa Monica - they're all over an hour's drive from Buena Park and longer on public transportation if you won't have a car. So I'd suggest stay in Buena Park for the days you'll be going to Disney and/or Knotts, but the other days spend in a more central part of LA.

The good news is that you have plenty of time - you can spend 4 days in SD, a few days at one of the Orange County beaches (Newport, Huntington, or Laguna), and the rest of the time perhaps in LA itself - Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Hollywood, West Hollywood are all good bases, especially if you'll have a car (will you?). LA area beaches include Malibu, Santa Monica, Venice, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Torrance etc. So you may want to split your LA time between one of those (Santa Monica has the most convenient location) and somewhere inland like Beverly Hills or West Hollywood. A lot will depend on your budget and how fancy a hotel you're looking for. What sort of budget did you have in mind for the hotel?

There are target stores all over LA. LA has Walmarts but they tend to be in more outlying areas. Same for outlet malls - there is one not too far from the city (Citadel) - the rest are all long drives. But (IMHO) outlets are a waste of time and effort to get to - there is plenty of great and cheap shopping in LA itself - and any Macy's department store will give you 11% discount on top of any sales they have going on if you show them your passport at their customer service department.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Orange County
Orange County
California
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: This is my first trip to LA and I don't know where to stay

Another opinion that you don't want to spend 17 days in Buena Park. Places listed above are good suggestions.

Have you thought about a couple nights in Palm Springs, a two hour drive from LA? I think the best outlet mall, Desert Premium , in Cabazon about 20 miles before PS would be worth your time to stop on the drive out there. June is not too hot, and you would enjoy the swimming pools and sights out there, then back to Hollywood, LA or Santa Monica.

www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp…

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: This is my first trip to LA and I don't know where to stay

Thanks for your suggestions, I really appreciate your advice.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: This is my first trip to LA and I don't know where to stay

Yes we will have a car. We are being quoted £42 per night for the room at buena park and £74 per night for the room at san diego although I believe car parking is all additional. My husband is fussy and really wants a 4 star but not at too much expense. I understand knotts is a good 3 star. We have the flights booked but not the accommodation or car hire yet. Thanks for your advice and really appreciate your help.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: This is my first trip to LA and I don't know where to stay

Thanks for all your help.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: This is my first trip to LA and I don't know where to stay

Unfortunately LA is not a cheap area when it comes to hotels. 4 star hotels are going to be more in the range of 150-200 pounds per night (or higher). Sometimes though some of the better hotels can be found on hotwire.com - you don't know for sure what hotel you're getting until you agree to pay, but the forums on betterbidding.com is a good resource to try and figure out what hotel you might get.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,873 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: This is my first trip to LA and I don't know where to stay

Alison, I think you for sure should post in the Los Angeles forum and look to spend 4-5 nights there.

I am not sure how the star ratings 3 star vs 4 star translate from Northern Ireland to the US. Our 3 stars are pretty nice and our 4 stars can be pretty expensive unless you can use Priceline, HotWire, Hotels.com, etc.

You also want to post in the San Diego forum for questions about San Diego. San Diego has 3 good outlet malll and each has it's fans.

For San Diego accomodations, I'd look at La Pensione first. It is a great location and reasonable costs, but again, ask the question in the SD forum.

Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom
San Diego
San Diego
California
Northern Ireland