We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should visitors do about water?

Which Borrego Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What should visitors do about water?

Borrego Springs is forming a new stewardship group, and they consider visitors part of the community. Borrego's biggest problem: Not enough water. The whole valley relies on an aquifer that's shrinking. Right now, three fifths of that water is used by agriculture (especially citrus), one fifth by the community, and one fifth by golf courses (!).

We visitors far outnumber permanent residents in Borrego, so what do we want Borrego to do about reducing water use? Less farming? Fewer golf courses? Something else? They want to hear from travelers that care, and they'll check this forum.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What should visitors do about water?

As this forum gets fewer than a post a month I wouldn't expect this thread to be exceptionally active.

I think it's too bad that an "us vs. them" attitude has arisen. And who is "they?"

WASHINGTON STATE
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What should visitors do about water?

We are visitors and believe one thing most important re water issue : educate the citizens who live in Borrego Springs!!! There are some who do not believe or know there is a water shortage. We have been coming here for about 2 mos during Jan-Feb and several yrs ago a prominent business owner declared "there is plenty of water", when the water district was warning the citizens the acquifer was drying up. The golf course where we are renting keeps the greens very green and that is true for all of them. The only thing different we have noticed is some home owners are finally replacing grass with desert landscaping. There just doesn't appear to be that high a concern for the ordinary people around town. I am perplexed. One idea is that the business owners want to keep the water issue a secret for fear of visitors disappearing? I have read the BSWD website and it looks like they are tackling the issue for 2016 being forced to do something because the State legislature demands it. We live out of state and are well versed on the drought in CA, yet come here to visit and it's like "what drought". Amazing.

3. Re: What should visitors do about water?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 09, 2016