We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anzo-Borrega area

Which Borrego Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cashmere, Washington
3 posts
Save Topic
Anzo-Borrega area

We've read about a place in this area called "the slabs". It is on an abandoned military area, there are no facilities and no fees, but anyone can park their RV and stay free. Does anyone know if it is still open and how to get there?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anzo-Borrega area

Is this it? All I can say is Google is your friend. Chuck.

http://www.slab-city.com/

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=the+slabs+camping&gbv=2&oq=the+slabs&gs_l=heirloom-hp.1.5.0l10.3609.5297.0.13453.9.9.0.0.0.0.94.750.9.9.0....0...1ac..24.heirloom-hp..0.9.750.I4k6j7qdkzo

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anzo-Borrega area

Slab City is no where near Borrego but rather on the eastern side of the Salton Sea.

Here are a couple of threads, good luck.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g659472-i16500-k62…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28926-i29-k693434…

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,604 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anzo-Borrega area

We drove by there once, on a trip to somewhere, and I found it one of the most depressive places I had ever seen. I will skirt it every time from now on. I cannot imagine seeking it out. JMO

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anzo-Borrega area

Oh it's still open, June H, but read about it carefully and know what you will be experiencing there ;-)

I'm with you, Puter.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,710 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anzo-Borrega area

A young man asked at the San Diego forum a few months ago and did visit. Will find link for you or you can search.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anzo-Borrega area

I think that's in my link in #2. But thanks anyway.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,710 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anzo-Borrega area

Yes I just saw that WD.

Cashmere, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anzo-Borrega area

Thanks to all for info and links. The video was interesting. Think I have enough info. now.

Salton City
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anzo-Borrega area

The Slabs are not near the Salton Sea shore, but east of its southern region in an even more remote area. I think its very worth driving through for the daring, curious, and adventuresome only. If I were an outlaw, that's where I'd hide out. However, last time I went by, I also saw a few very expensive looking RVs with satellite dishes and solar panels joining what otherwise reminded me of a Hooverville. I'd be too spooked to spend the night out there. It's a place that's supposedly self-governed and has its own tiny radio station. Some have described the looks of it far out there in the desert as post-apocalyptic. Its Saturday night jams are well known and said to be quite good. Sean Penn's film "Into the Wild" features the Slabs and one of its jams. Sociologically it's fascinating.

Cashmere, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Anzo-Borrega area

Thanks for the info about the Slabs. Sounds like an interesting place. -June H