We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bishop to Las Vegas

Which Bishop hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Bishop to Las Vegas

Hi from UK

We will be driving from Bishop to Las Vegas via routes 168/266/95, so as to avoid driving through Death Valley during August.

Could you please tell me if there are any rest stops along these routes before getting to Beatty.

Many thanks for your help.

Bishop, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bishop to Las Vegas

Not really. It is a very quiet road and not heavily traveled. It is well maintained but there really is not much between Big Pine and Beatty. I find it beautiful and I like the drive better than going North from Bishop up 6 to Tonopah and then down 95. If you car is well maintained and you travel smart (take some food and water) then you will not have any problems. It is a nice drive but some people do get car sick on it because some of it is winds around.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,396 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bishop to Las Vegas

This is a very beautiful route, but you will be mostly on your own for over 200km. I presume you'll go down 395 from Bishop to Big Pine and turn onto 168. Bishop is the last town of any size until Beatty, so stock up on whatever you need; Big Pine is a little town where you can get basic necessities.

If you want to break up the long trip, here are some suggestions.

The Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest is on a narrow, steep, but good paved road north from 168. The bristlecones are among the oldest known living things, thriving in conditions that can kill just about everything else. They are scrubby little trees, but beautiful in their own way. They look nothing like the familiar pines of more temperate areas, because they have to survive extremely harsh conditions at around 3000 km elevation.

Info on Bristlecone Pines and the forest:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/about/

Bristlecone pictures:

goldengatephoto.com/WestUS/bristlecone.html

Farther along on 168 is Deep Springs College, a very unusual school. It is a non-traditional 2-year college for men, founded on the philosophy of combining scholastics, work, and self-governance. The student body is limited to 24, the faculty all live on site, and everyone has a job to do, from planting and harvesting crops or herding and butchering cattle to scrubbing floors or dishes. I do not know if people can visit without prior arrangement, but when you see the place out there in the middle of nowhere, you'll appreciate the kind of educational and life opportunity it is for the students. Many graduates have distinguished themselves in public service, education, science, and a variety of other fields.

http://www.deepsprings.edu/index.html

Finally, a short drive off Hwy 266 is a ghost town called Gold Point that you might enjoy seeing. You can even rent an old cabin there if you want to spend a night. The website shows some gasoline dispensers, but those are historic and I don't think they sell gas.

http://www.goldpointghosttown.com/

If you take all the little side trips, the trip from Bishop to Beatty will be close to 300 km.

London, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bishop to Las Vegas

Thank you both very much for all the info. we, as a family have done quite a few road trips in the USA bu8t this year we are taking my daughters friend with us and I suppose I'm just worrying about things like restrooms etc. along the way.

London, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bishop to Las Vegas

Ooops, excuse the spelling!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bishop to Las Vegas

Hi Frisco Roadrunner - I have checked out the Bristlecone Pine Forest and Gold Point and I think they are both something we would enjoy to break up our journey. Do you know how long the sidetrip to Goldpoint would be and if you could get something to eat there?

Thanks to you both for your help, really appreciate it.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,396 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bishop to Las Vegas

Mummabear, the side trip off Hwy 266 and back will be about 30-35 km. You don't have to go back the same way, but take Hwy 774 east out of Gold Point, which will put you farther east on 266.

On the website, you'll see that there are meals for guests staying in town. You might e-mail and ask if they will serve day visitors as well. If so, it might be wise to call en route to confirm you are on the way, because I have a feeling they are not very busy and may not staff the kitchen around the clock.

It has been a few years since I was in Gold Point, but it's a unique, out-of-the-way place. I think you'll enjoy it, and it may remind kids (or adults) of Western movies. Also, if you have time when you reach Beatty (or if you decide to stop over), see Rhyolite. That's also a ghost town, built on gold at the turn of the 20th century. Many stone and concrete ruins are standing and show what a prosperous town Rhyolite was.

London, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bishop to Las Vegas

Thanks Frisco Roadrunner for the tips and suggestions. Sounds all good fun.

8. Re: Bishop to Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, August 27, 2009