We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on travel/transfers by public transport/shuttles

Derbyshire, UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on travel/transfers by public transport/shuttles

Hi, we are visiting Slovenia in August - 2 adults with luggage :-) and have a basic itinerary as follows:-

From Ljubljana airport to city centre on Tuesday 6 Aug;

From there to Lake Bled on Thursday 8 Aug;

Then from there to Gozd Martuljek (hotel Spik) on Sunday 11 Aug;

Then from there back to Ljubljana airport on Thursday 15th Aug.

I have already contacted two shuttle companies for a quote and am awaiting their response, but wondered if any public transport for any of these journeys might be do-able? Obviously they would be cheaper but sometimes the hassle is not worth it. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you. Oh, and before anyone says "hire a car", we don't drive :-)

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on travel/transfers by public transport/shuttles

There are plenty of trains from Ljubljana to Lesce Bled. See here:

slo-zeleznice.si/en/…

Lesce Bled station is about 6 km from the town of Bled, and it's unlikely you will be the only passengers wanting to go from the station to the town. There are frequent buses, taking five minutes for the journey, or just get a taxi, which won't cost much.

There are trains from Lesce Bled to Jesenice (play with the Slovenian Railways site I gave you above), and frequent buses from Jesenice to Gozd Martuljek. See here:

www.vozni-red.si/bus.php?x=Jesenice+Integral&y=Gozd+Martuljek+trg.

Then of course from Gozd you do the same thing in reverse to get back to Ljubljana.

Lake Bled is beautiful; I was there only a few weeks ago. I haven’t been to Gozd (hadn’t heard of it until just now, but I can’t resist the opportunity to look up some lovely bus and train timetables...)

Edited: 9:40 am, July 18, 2013
Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on travel/transfers by public transport/shuttles

Hi

There are mini buses which wait outside Ljubljana airport and go into the city centre. This would probably be easier and cheaper than a private transfer as there only two of you.

As per the answer above, from Ljubljana you can get a train to Lesce-Bled station but it isn't in Bled. From there you can a bus to Bled or a taxi, it's only a few kms away. Or alternatively you can get a bus from Ljubljana direct to Bled.

From Bled to Gozd Martuljek you can get a bus - buses in the direction of Kranjska Gora.

And from Gozd M to Lju there are also buses. Train connections aren't great, in fact there aren't any in that part but if you are happy on the buses then its doable.

Hope this helps!

Adele

Bled, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on travel/transfers by public transport/shuttles

Bus lines are for you the best.

From the airport take a shuttle, they are some outside of the arrivals. From Ljubljana to Bled direct bus each hour.

To Gozd Martuljek, take a bus to Lesce, and change bus to Kranjska Gora. Gozd Martuljek is only one station earlier. But only at 16.10h you have a direct bus from Bled, which drives to Bovec!

But you need also some advice, which accomodation in Bled.

Edited: 3:05 pm, July 18, 2013
Derbyshire, UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on travel/transfers by public transport/shuttles

Thank you all for your very informative answers. I will take a look at the timetable links. Are the buses all the type where we can take suitcases on with ease? That is my concern about buses.

I don't need any advice on accommodation as that part is all sorted :-)

Bled, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on travel/transfers by public transport/shuttles

All buses have a big space for bags! Dont warry!

No, it is a difference if you are on other side of the lake or close to centre.

Derbyshire, UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on travel/transfers by public transport/shuttles

Also, are the airport buses/shuttles pre-bookable? And where do they stop in the city?

Derbyshire, UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on travel/transfers by public transport/shuttles

In Bled we have reserved accommodation at the budget hotel Jadran (not so great reviews but hopefully it'll be ok!)

Bled, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on travel/transfers by public transport/shuttles

HJadran is in the centre of Bled, 400m from bus station! H.Jadran is budget, but views has better as all other....lake side only! Reviews yes is an old one...?

Edited: 5:52 am, July 19, 2013
Reply to: Advice on travel/transfers by public transport/shuttles
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Upper Carniola Region